Incredible Horse Story

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My buddy that sells me cattle had some horses running out on his 1100 acres that hadn't got much attention since his kids left.
My wife loves horses.
Easy math there !
I buy 2 mares, of course we need 2, and input costs begin.
Don't get me wrong, I love horses, but when you're use to feeding and eating you tend to look at return on investment.
Anyway, the horses were beautiful Tennessee Walkers.
Just thought I'd have my vet check them out while she was at the ranch.
Horses looked great, acted great, but I noticed a nasty smelling discharge..
Crazy begins....one mare had 2 mummified foals in her. They were encased in scar tissue.
3 vets worked crazy long hours taking turns pulling bones out out that mare. They used a garden hose to help tear scar tissue .
Incredible people. 😇

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_145239.jpg
    IMG_20210804_145239.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20210804_145241.jpg
    IMG_20210804_145241.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20210710_193116151_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210710_193116151_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 68
I went to the horse sale in Cody Wyoming last May with the idea of buying a ranch horse. Nothing sold under $8500. I never even got a chance to bid; I was going to stop at $3000, they started a $3500. One gelding sold for $110,000; he was a well trained horse, but was no where near worth that much. Most of the horses sold that day were draft crosses.

I went to the horse sale in Cody Wyoming last May with the idea of buying a ranch horse. Nothing sold under $8500. I never even got a chance to bid; I was going to stop at $3000, they started a $3500. One gelding sold for $110,000; he was a well trained horse, but was no where near worth that much. Most of the horses sold that day were draft crosses.
Those are the hot item now. Well built/colored Draft cross that is going good under saddle being ridden by a hand in a cowboy hat is $35,000 all day to start now. They go up from there quick. It is crazy and I agree they are good horses but not that good!

How much does a horse cost? Haha the horse is the cheap part!

Glad they got her fixed up for you.

My buddy that sells me cattle had some horses running out on his 1100 acres that hadn't got much attention since his kids left.
My wife loves horses.
Easy math there !
Don't get me wrong, I love horses, but when you're use to feeding and eating you tend to look at return on investment.
Crazy begins....one mare had 2 mummified foals in her. They were encased in scar tissue.
3 vets worked crazy long hours taking turns pulling bones out out that mare. They used a garden hose to help tear scar tissue .
Incredible people. 😇
You don't hear of that every day! Wow! Thats a nice looking mare. Gaited horses are fun to ride.

Incredible and well documented! I am glad you had the good fortune to be in a position to acquire the horse.
Surely a little book or short story is in the offing!? "My Ride with Bone's" or ''?"

Incredible and well documented! I am glad you had the good fortune to be in a position to acquire the horse.
Surely a little book or short story is in the offing!? "My Ride with Bone's" or ''?"
Actually the Dr is a teacher at University of Florida. She took all the bones and the horse is now a case study for the class she teaches.
She is a professor in equine reproduction.

That is the craziest horse story I have ever heard and we had horses for 20+ years. Very interesting though

C
Those are the hot item now. Well built/colored Draft cross that is going good under saddle being ridden by a hand in a cowboy hat is $35,000 all day to start now. They go up from there quick. It is crazy and I agree they are good horses but not that good!
Cowboy warmbloods.

Happens in cattle, I've had probably 5 cases in dairy in last 21 years. Lute does nothing. We usually just milk them until they get under herd average and ship them. Never had one die from it.

Beef cows under low management my vet was telling me he was preg checking for a guy in the late winter. No ear tags in cows or anything. Well they sleeved them cow felt like 4+ as fetus over the hips. Guy just wanted to know if they were bred or not. Shipped the opens. Well this one cow had a brand or something so come next winter preg checking again vet said yup 4+ months again but noticed cows bag was flat as a pancake. Well he pulled out his ultrasound sure enough had a mummy in her. Guy never noticed she didn't calve that year. Happens more than we realize I bet.

My wife loves horses.
Easy math there !
Incredible people. 😇
Did the vet have an estimate as to how far the mare was into her pregnancy when this occurred ?

A good well broke ranch horse about 5 or 6 years old is $10,000 all day long. One of my neighbors who got bucked off at a branding last spring and fractured a vertebra in his back said, "a good horse is a lot cheaper than hospital bills."

Did the vet have an estimate as to how far the mare was into her pregnancy when this occurred ?
We think it was 2 years.
There were 2 pretty developed partial foals.
She misscarried about 16 months ago and his vet checked her...but who knows...miracle for sure.
Just got back from riding her today... beautiful winter North Georgia weather 72 and sunny. 🙂

Latest posts