Improving Carcass Grade

Help Support CattleToday:

ernie_d24

Reaction score
Currently I have a composite of Angus, Maine Anjou, Red Poll, and Simmental Cows. My carcass data shows that my yeild grades are mostly 2's and that most of the carcasses are select or low choice. What do I do in order to keep my yield grade while increasing the quality. I have the ability to do pretty much anything. Suggestions???

I would suggest using proven AI sires of whatever breed you like with above average to high YG/%RP and high marbling EPDs. Yes, these bulls are few and far between, but they do exist. Just be sure they are PROVEN.

If you are not willing to AI, then select bulls from proven parents.

It sounds to me like you are right on the edge of choice/select, but still OK for YG.

Feed them for two more weeks next year would be my advice. Don't change anything until you do that, you might screw up your good thing.

If you do need to change, just be careful. You are at 50% British/Continental, so that is good. For my money, I'd try one of the SimAngus or SimRedAngus bulls out there, to keep you close to where you already are, but not move you too far and screw up what you've got. Look for above average marbling, but lower backfat, and a bigger ribeye. They are fairly easy toi find due to the nature of the cross.

Big point is that you are close, don't let somebody fool you into buying something you don't need, which is an extreme bull. You don't need extreme marbling at this point to move you, you only need a little more, not a lot more.

mtnman

Latest posts