Important Neighbor

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Well we got ourselves a new neighbor and boy is he important. He called me and complained about the boys from Florida that lease a piece of land from us. Said they were hunting too close to the property line and he didn't approve of how they hunted. (These fellas have been leasing the land for over 5 years and have kept the land up well and I've never had a minutes trouble with them) I told the man I'd speak to them and get their side of the story. He told me that I didn't understand WHO HE WAS. He told me he hunted with the governor and some senators and such and that he didn't want these boys killing HIS deer. (Now, ya'll all know how shallow I am and how much this impressed me that I had such a "connected" neighbor. ;-) ) He then came back with a little bribe, when that didn't work he came back with an offer of $28 per acre for the 1050 acre lease - if I'd kick them off the property and let him lease it. Gee, what to do. I mean, how can I insure that my present club doesn't leave cause I sure don't want this SOB on the property - specially if he's hanging around swine and all. :lol2: :lol2:

I have some lease property adjacent to a new subdivision and boarders the city limit. These are people with big houses and big bucks. When they call the sheriffs department, they come running out and ruin the hunting. Every resident (seems like) has called and complained about hunters in my pasture. They actually think it is good to have them wandering around the neighborhood eating the flowerbeds. The fact that there are about 2 buck for every doe means nothing to them. Had 1 woman do everything possible to scare the deer off so no one could kill them.
I am not a hunter but I do beleave in controlling the population. I like to watch them as much as the next person.
I especially don't like people with clout thinking they can control others because of it. Makes me want to start shooting up next to fence just to P them off. :mad:

tell him the club pays 50 an acre now and let him counter offer. then keep the money and let yer boys hunt as friends of yers fer free..win win....

I agree with baxter, just check out the recording laws in your state though, some require that you tell the person up front that you are recording them.
I would not try and start a bidding war on it, because I know people who have quoted prices and got them and then the talk and trouble begins.

nova check out the local laws on hunting. Out here we have a law that prohibits harrassing hunters, so check it out in your area and if you have one, post that info on your fenceline along with private property signs.

Tell him to 'blow' you and let your boys keep up the good work. I can't stand those uppity types! Oops sorry bout the language!

Red Bull Breeder":37x2469y said:
Tell him to get used to it. No changes will be made.

Onthebit":37x2469y said:
Tell him to 'blow' you and let your boys keep up the good work. I can't stand those uppity types! Oops sorry bout the language!

:lol2: :lol2: I won't make any changes at all. Its a win/win deal the way it is and I'm not one to break an agreement. I did tell the club what was going on and that they might want to lay low and be careful. Have probably confused Mr. Rockefeller by not by not washing his feet. Unlike his friends, money is not going to buy him this.

Gov. Sonny Perdue sure has a lot of nutcase pals. The man that owns a few acres across the dirt road from my Mother's house shows up to hunt deer on it about once or twice a year. Has about a dozen posted signs all up and down the road like anybody would want to trespass on his crappy little piece of land. Anyway, last year I was going out the driveway and spoke to him briefly(mostly listening on my part as he's the kind of guy that talks non stop without letting the other guy get a word in)and after going on about how Sonny let the state flag issue die without a vote after getting elected on it told me that he lived in Warner Robins and was next door neighbors with Sonny Perdue and he could get that dirt road paved anytime he wanted to. Yeah, OK, see ya I said and drove off. I've known a few liars in my time but none to top him. It's really entertaining in a way to listen to the whoppers he tells. I'm just wishing for the day he puts his land up for sale.

Baxter, yeah I know another guy like that too. Guy named Alowishus. I figure he was about 14 yrs old at the end of the Vietnam war in 1973. Yet he told me he was involved in classified military manuevers in Laos during the war. Last time I saw him, he was telling me about a palatial villa on the Italian Riviera that a rich Italian uncle had bequeathed to him that he didn't even know he was related to.

ga. prime":2p6zk2e3 said:
Baxter, yeah I know another guy like that too. Guy named Alowishus. I figure he was about 14 yrs old at the end of the Vietnam war in 1973. Yet he told me he was involved in classified military manuevers in Laos during the war. Last time I saw him, he was telling me about a palatial villa on the Italian Riviera that a rich Italian uncle had bequeathed to him that he didn't even know he was related to.

You know, I don't know how folks like that function. As I age, I'm having a hard time remembering things that are true, much less keeping up with a bunch of lies.

Tell him where to go and how to get there then your hunters not to cross the line or shoot across the line for any reason but if they want to hunt the fence line good luck.

Here is a good story of a fence line argument.

I was helping a neighbor who was starting a pay hunt deal on his land and he had an issue with his neighbor's land that was leased. The other guys had stands in trees on the fence and a few that were in a tree on the other side by a couple feet but facing my friends property. My friend found one stand that was in a tree in the fence row, but on his side with a stand in it and he waited until opening day of bow season and went down with his chain saw and told the guy he better climb down as he was cutting the tree down. He didn't believe him until my friend fired the saw up and started in on the tree with the guy still in it. He stopped and let him down but he cut the tree down with the stand still in it. He took what was left of the stand off the tree and told him he could go to the Sheriffs Office that afternoon and pick it up with a trespassing ticket. The other land owner showed up and they worked something out but he wouldn't tell me what it was but all the stands in the fence came down and the ones facing my buddy's property did to.

I own ground next to a MDC wildlife area and I have had my fences cut and tromped down before. (short pull to the road thru my land long hard pull staying on MDC ground) I know its a very few bad apples that are doing this but everyone I see gets a ticket no matter what.

Jogeephus":25ig22xj said:
Well we got ourselves a new neighbor and boy is he important. He called me and complained about the boys from Florida that lease a piece of land from us. Said they were hunting too close to the property line and he didn't approve of how they hunted. (These fellas have been leasing the land for over 5 years and have kept the land up well and I've never had a minutes trouble with them) I told the man I'd speak to them and get their side of the story. He told me that I didn't understand WHO HE WAS. He told me he hunted with the governor and some senators and such and that he didn't want these boys killing HIS deer. (Now, ya'll all know how shallow I am and how much this impressed me that I had such a "connected" neighbor. ;-) ) He then came back with a little bribe, when that didn't work he came back with an offer of $28 per acre for the 1050 acre lease - if I'd kick them off the property and let him lease it. Gee, what to do. I mean, how can I insure that my present club doesn't leave cause I sure don't want this SOB on the property - specially if he's hanging around swine and all. :lol2: :lol2:

Surely he had the place surveyed before he bought it....I'd point out the survey stakes and tell him "what happens on your side of that is your busines...on this side....it's mine...then politely walk away".

Sure hope it never gets that way around here. We have a little trouble with the out of the area people folks now and then. But most of us local folks just hunt where we want. No posted land around here.

we have a similar situation but we have a 60 acre parcel that we surround and there is an easement recorded so I have to let these guys in no prob the easement is 30ft wide and 1/4 mile long they started shooting deer on this easement and out in my pastures I told them to stop they didn't so last yr had the game warden out they shot 2 deer on this easement he wrote trespassing tickets took the deer and there guns it took 6 months for them to go to court and get their guns back I have tried to buy the land for yrs and they can't agree to sell it is in a trust last count there were over 100 people named on it so it will never be sold they can't agree on selling it the easement is an access only easement so they have no rights other than to access their prop on the easement So good luc on your new neighbor Jo and have a little fun with him

Red Bull Breeder":bjvsw884 said:
Sure hope it never gets that way around here. We have a little trouble with the out of the area people folks now and then. But most of us local folks just hunt where we want. No posted land around here.

We have neighbors that have been here for years and figure they can hunt anywhere the want too. I haven;t had to run any off this year yet although one of them shot a buck over our back fence during archery season. We plant food plots and do habitat improvements, they just graze everything to the ground (their trees have long since been removed) and figure they should be able to hunt our place.

Not to many of us in our little area, so we all just hunt where we want. if i want to hunt on the neighbors i do and they do the same.No problems. There is less than 2000 acres of privately owned land in the valley of that there are 2 larger tracts that take up a little more than half. Most of our problems come from nonlocals.

Make sure that when you speak to him again, you talk real slow. It drives 'em nuts!

(After all, you're one of them dumb, uneducated hicks like me. You have to speak real slow in order to think that sentence out to the end.) :lol:

Long as they ain't hunting over on his property he needs to learn the rules, and a ton of manners! Guess he should get the Gov and Sens over earlier in the season if he wants them to shoot HIS deer.

Latest posts