Implants

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot said:
TLM1988 said:
Bigfoot said:
I have made some look staggy before, but not enough that I quit the practice.
Which implant do you prefer?
Ralgro is all I've ever used. I personally believe they work.
I've implanted steers I've purchased and had some I didn't implant. I can tell a difference in muscle growth. This is my first set of straight bulls and I didn't know if people waited till they castrated or went ahead and got em going

TLM I would implant and castrate at the same time the first time they are in the chute. ASAP in other words.

VACowman I am not sure I agree with the vet completely. I fence line wean my calves in a smallish pen with a feed trough. They will start eating that day and by day three they will clean up one percent of their body weight and want more. Calves wean quicker and easier and lose less weight when they are not hungry.

bird dog said:
TLM I would implant and castrate at the same time the first time they are in the chute. ASAP in other words.

VACowman I am not sure I agree with the vet completely. I fence line wean my calves in a smallish pen with a feed trough. They will start eating that day and by day three they will clean up one percent of their body weight and want more. Calves wean quicker and easier and lose
less weight when they are not hungry.
I'm ready to go it's just muddy as all get out right now. With 3-5 inches of rain in the forecast. Hopfully it'll dry up or start freezing

Ralgro on steer calves and weaned feeder heifers. Not on replacement heifers for several undesirable traits we have experienced. Live vaccines for everyone as we don't calve year round.

SynovexC at spring working on steers. SynovexS at fall weaning/working. For the cost, 1lb. of gain pays for the implant. I like the Synoved gun best. Last Ralgro gun I saw didnt have the retractable needle like Synovex. I never implant heifers so I have the option to retain replacements. Always afraid I'd make heifers grow well enough I'd want to keep them for growth, or someone buys them to breed and has huge issues, ruins my reputation for quality stock. My vet warns against implanting heifers. Says they tend to bag up, bull alot, and messes up heat cycles.

Petercoates87 said:
My vet is actually all for it. She brought it up to me. I've been a drug free kinda guy but with a lil research I noticed a lot are doing it. I run a high fiber and high protein diet but if I could make a much better marble beef and a fatter healthier cows that would be nice. For example i just butchered a 16 month old holstein bull that dressed 540lbs. Which I thought was pretty good. I have a 6 month old bull calf I bought to breed next season Hereford angus cross that's 660lbs live weight. I could only imagine what he might dress if I put him on it. It could put me above the rest here in Newfoundland too. No one else here is at it according to the vet.

I had two 17 months old PRIORITY steers hang at 1000#, raising on alfalfa only out of my limo moms :

TLM1988 said:
Anyone ever implanted feeder bulls before they cut em?? I've got 11 bulls calves around 375-400 that I'm planning to cut as soon as it dries up or starts freezing. Just wondering if the results are the same

DO NOT IMPLANT BULLS before cutting! It will make their cords brittle. When you go to pull the testicle it will just snap off and bleed everywhere.
We castrate at turn out and use Revlor G on steers. Second round of shots at weaning the steers get Encore. After we pick our replacement heifers the rest of the heifers get Compudose.
Worming and implants always add the potential for more pounds.

Latest posts