Implants

Help Support CattleToday:

We use synovex c. Seems like everyone is doing it. Unfortunately I don't run enough consistent cattle to really see if it's worth it. But like $1 each, not much risk

What did your vet say? Use them or don't?

Personally I use them at first work and weaning. If they only add half as many pounds as the company and independent research suggests, then its a pretty good return on my investment.

My vet is actually all for it. She brought it up to me. I've been a drug free kinda guy but with a lil research I noticed a lot are doing it. I run a high fiber and high protein diet but if I could make a much better marble beef and a fatter healthier cows that would be nice. For example i just butchered a 16 month old holstein bull that dressed 540lbs. Which I thought was pretty good. I have a 6 month old bull calf I bought to breed next season Hereford angus cross that's 660lbs live weight. I could only imagine what he might dress if I put him on it. It could put me above the rest here in Newfoundland too. No one else here is at it according to the vet.

Be careful of implants and breeding animals.......
We don't use implants. Son has talked about trying it on the steers.... I absolutely refuse to allow it on the heifers. I don't want to take any chances on possible breeding problems, although I know some claim to be no problems.... and I want to see how they grow on their own before I commit to keeping them for replacements. But I am not for them in general.
I also am a killed virus vaccine person too. Don't want to have any possible problems with mlv.... and I don't have to be careful who is going through the chute either with the killed..... Have had several diagnosed open here in the last year that were actually short bred; mlv would have caused them to abort. I have a half dozen calves that would not be here. So I am not going to do it. Killed, with a followup booster, and using it on everyone, has been working out very well for me.

I use Ralgro implants on my feeder steers, those calves will gain 20-25 more pounds than they would without. For the price of a couple bucks, its a no brainer. However, we do not implant bulls or heifers that will be sold for breeding purposes.

We don't implant any anymore. Parents used to run feeder calves and implants were part of the vet program that they received when first brought in. I'm not opposed to the practice for feeder calves but would certainly not want any thing implanted that was a possibility for a breeding animal. A few years ago the AI tech that was breeding some heifers here told me that another customer had some heifers that had been implanted and they had a time getting them bred.
On the subject of MLV vaccines, I don't like to use those either. We do use them on our calves that go into certain types of sales as they are required, but that is the extent of it.

I read an article the other day that claimed less than one third of producers are implanting their calves anymore, compared to two thirds 20 years ago or so. I've been considering implanting again, it's probably the best ROI in ranching.

Silver said:
I read an article the other day that claimed less than one third of producers are implanting their calves anymore, compared to two thirds 20 years ago or so. I've been considering implanting again, it's probably the best ROI in ranching.

You wont regret it. I implant mine at weaning when i give vaccination/worming, then i will reworm and reimplant at 90 days. This has worked well for me.

I heard the question ask to the head Vet at VA tech. He stated that he usually waited for the cow to get the calf licked clean because it was hard to hold the ear if it wasn't cleaned up. Same with banding.

Anyone ever implanted feeder bulls before they cut em?? I've got 11 bulls calves around 375-400 that I'm planning to cut as soon as it dries up or starts freezing. Just wondering if the results are the same

Double the dose of implants and top dress some grain with Creatine Monohydrate 2 grams per head per day the last 30 days. You will add 100 pounds on just creatine.

Richnm said:
Double the dose of implants and top dress some grain with Creatine Monohydrate 2 grams per head per day the last 30 days. You will add 100 pounds on just creatine.

You getting it at like a health food store?

TLM1988 said:
Anyone ever implanted feeder bulls before they cut em?? I've got 11 bulls calves around 375-400 that I'm planning to cut as soon as it dries up or starts freezing. Just wondering if the results are the same

I have made some look staggy before, but not enough that I quit the practice.

Bigfoot said:
Richnm said:

Yes, or online. Make sure it's monohydrate. A kilo is about $30.

Bigfoot said:
TLM1988 said:

Which implant do you prefer?

Personally, I think it's easy $$. Unless you are selling into a "natural" type program, I highly recommend it. Quite the ROI. That being said, I do not implant any heifers until after the replacements are picked. Any heifer that doesn't make the initial cut to be in the keeper pen gets implanted immediately. I do not think you increase marbling by implanting, but you will increase weight and red meat! We try to implant the steer calves when they are cut (still on mom) and then once again after they are weaned. I was at a meeting one time and there was a vet speaking on implants. He recommended waiting about 2-3 weeks AFTER weaning to reimplant or for the initial implant if they were not implanted on the cow. His reasons were that during the actual weaning process, calves are stressed and generally worry more with checking fences and missing momma than eating. He said you want these things eating good before you implant them, otherwise during the weaning process, the intake and feed efficiency boost from the implant can sometimes be negated. Makes sense to me.

TLM1988 said:
Bigfoot said:
TLM1988 said:

Which implant do you prefer?
Ralgro is all I've ever used. I personally believe they work.

Richnm said:
Bigfoot said:
Richnm said:

Yes, or online. Make sure it's monohydrate. A kilo is about $30.

I'm gonna try this. Two grams seems so small. I have about 40 weaned calves on feed now. Can you take a second, and walk me through the process. May be as simple as you say, just top dress the feed in the trough with 80 grams spread evenly?

Latest posts