I'm thinking of getting cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

superx

Reaction score
:!: :?: ;-) I am looking for some helpful hints to help me get started with cattle any suggestions. :lol:

Springer at times I am tempted to buy one of them gray Angus so you can say you sold one.

Thats a great idea! :) :) But I that might encourage him and he would start another breed.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":30y7elfj said:
Caustic Burno":30y7elfj said:
Springer at times I am tempted to buy one of them gray Angus so you can say you sold one. ;-)

CB, I have several....let me know which ones you want! :) :D ;-) :cboy:

The wife is thinking of us vacationing in Arkansas this summer. I'm tempted to ask the Springer's if we could stop by. Anyone that persistant has got to be proud of his cattle. I don't think she'd like me bringing the cattle trailer, though.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2m4g8bd9 said:
Get your facilities lined out first, then buy Registered Murray Grey cattle! ;-) :cboy:

If I can speak from my experience, I could emphasize the facility part enough. That was one of the many mistakes I made not having the facilities first.

superx":3a0avg7r said:
:!: :?: ;-) I am looking for some helpful hints to help me get started with cattle any suggestions. :lol:

The best suggestion is DON'T. If you're an adult and you've never been involved in livestock start with something else. Cattle are a lot of work with a serious time commitment - be prepared for long hours and dirty work.

cypressfarms":3bzx3l7s said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3bzx3l7s said:
Caustic Burno":3bzx3l7s said:
Springer at times I am tempted to buy one of them gray Angus so you can say you sold one. ;-)

CB, I have several....let me know which ones you want! :) :D ;-) :cboy:

The wife is thinking of us vacationing in Arkansas this summer. I'm tempted to ask the Springer's if we could stop by. Anyone that persistant has got to be proud of his cattle. I don't think she'd like me bringing the cattle trailer, though.

Cypress, if you are serious pm me for directions! ;-) :cboy:

Bullbuyer":1ymcbthy said:
superx":1ymcbthy said:

The best suggestion is DON'T. If you're an adult and you've never been involved in livestock start with something else. Cattle are a lot of work with a serious time commitment - be prepared for long hours and dirty work.

Amen

tom4018":2lr4pxvb said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2lr4pxvb said:
Get your facilities lined out first, then buy Registered Murray Grey cattle! ;-) :cboy:

If I can speak from my experience, I could emphasize the facility part enough. That was one of the many mistakes I made not having the facilities first.
Lack of Facilities, or poor facilities is a major downfall with many stock owners.You've got to have a way to work and sort Cattle.Having the proper set up minimizes and nearly eliminates stress on you and your Cattle.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":bntdwqoz said:
msscamp":bntdwqoz said:
:nod::nod::nod:

I may have actually been convinced to try some of these things in a few years when I can get a herd of my own started. Or maybe even show a couple these next couple years to see how I like them. Know of any Grey breeders in TX? Can they stand the climate down here?

Bullbuyer":1g2rzi5w said:
superx":1g2rzi5w said:

But if you do, buy low and sell high and try not to spend any more money than you can help in the middle.

Amen on proper facilities. I bought some hereford hiefers last weekend. The place I bought them from had the worst corral setup I've ever seen, took forever to get them pushed into it and sorted. Took them down to one of his neighbors to weigh them, had them off the trailer, across the scales and back on the trailer in less than 15 min. Proper facilities make the work faster, easier and safer for you and the stock.

As far as too much hard dirty work, as long as you know that's what is ahead, I'm not one to tell someone he can or can't handle it. Just go into it with your eyes open both from the work and from the financial investment/return stand points.

Good luck

jaydill":13qcreba said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":13qcreba said:
msscamp":13qcreba said:

I may have actually been convinced to try some of these things in a few years when I can get a herd of my own started. Or maybe even show a couple these next couple years to see how I like them. Know of any Grey breeders in TX? Can they stand the climate down here?

You bet they can! Go to my website (springerfarms.com)for a link to Murray grey international association website,click on members,and find one near you! ;-) :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":vef15b0w said:

I have finally seen enough post about Murray, do they do well in hot fl on grass pasture and how about resell at the market?
Any info would be appreciated via this post or PM me.

Central Fl Cracker":14n0if3o said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":14n0if3o said:

I have finally seen enough post about Murray, do they do well in hot fl on grass pasture and how about resell at the market?
Any info would be appreciated via this post or PM me.

You bet they can! Go to my website (springerfarms.com)for a link to Murray grey international association website,click on members,and find one near you! ;-) :cboy: :)

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3jhhm95x said:
jaydill":3jhhm95x said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3jhhm95x said:
msscamp":3jhhm95x said:

You bet they can! Go to my website (springerfarms.com)for a link to Murray grey international association website,click on members,and find one near you! ;-) :cboy:
Thanks

As well as facilities get your other "infrastructure" in place.
Choose a vet and make contact. Let them know what you are setting up and determine what they need you to do for them to be able to help you.

Have meds/scalpels, syringes, thermometers all that stuff before you buy cattle. ( Calf puller, pulling chains, prod, the list of stuff you may need is quite long and varies with type of operation and area ).

Get your feed situation settled BEFORE you buy. You may be surprised at how much hay/grain is.

Cattle need LOTS of good clean water available.

Any fencing to do? Doing it before cattle are in is much better, I can assure you.

Do the math. Cattle are a lot of work, especially when you find you are going out of pocket to do it! :lol:

Good Luck!

( OOPS, almost forgot, in cattle there are red and there are black, and there are white - anything grey is a compromise and should be avoided :lol: :lol: )