I'm surprised

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
I'm surprised that beef ain't more $$ at the grocery store. I seen n the Dillons sale paper that chuck roast is $2.99lb. The butcher still has 80/20 hamburger for $2.50 about once a month. With the price of cattle you would think it would be more. Makes me think I should load my steer I been feeding to butcher and sale him.

Yea that is strange.. here in MD ground is 3.50+/lb. Processors are buying old holsteins for .80/lb, angus for $2/lb.. Just sold a 4yo Guernsey w/ a bad leg (she fell as as a heifer getting off trailer and tore ligament in leg), for 1.50/lb to local auction buyer.

the beef prices are high in the stores.thats why your seeing some good deals on roast hamberger an steaks.to try to keep people buying some meat.but hey chicken is just as high.any kind of steak has gone up in price.an hambergers have gone up as well.i eat anywhere from 4 to 8 bergers a week depending on how often we go to town.

piedmontese":3ib8v3an said:
I'm surprised that beef ain't more $$ at the grocery store. I seen n the Dillons sale paper that chuck roast is $2.99lb. The butcher still has 80/20 hamburger for $2.50 about once a month. With the price of cattle you would think it would be more. Makes me think I should load my steer I been feeding to butcher and sale him.

My wholesale price on ground chuck patties this week is $3.60lb. Actually middle meats and top butt is the real deal right now. Ribeyes have dropped almost 2 dollars a lb since Christmas

3waycross":1mc5ebfo said:
piedmontese":1mc5ebfo said:

My wholesale price on ground chuck patties this week is $3.60lb. Actually middle meats and top butt is the real deal right now. Ribeyes have dropped almost 2 dollars a lb since Christmas

3Way you sell this stuff so what do you think is up with the retail price? Barchart.com shows live fats cash price at $146 and April contract at $140. It sure looks like someone is getting squeezed pretty good between the feedlot and the consumer. You know who and why?

I recently bought a rib roast for $4.95/lb. With the hoof cost, processing and freight I just don't see how this can stay this low.

I think it is simply supply and demand. Our buyers are telling us that anything that can be grouns such as chuck is out of sight and the demand is low for middle meats.

We picked up some USDA graded prime rib eye from the meat market, for a special occasion. Somebody is making money. It cost me $230 to get out of there. Steak was excellent. Just as good as any I have ever fed out. Pricy tho. Top end is getting up there in cost.

As always with meat you have to ''sell it or smell it''. The price can only go up to the point of sales resistance. Meat that goes out of date(fresh) will not turn a profit in the dumpster. I have noticed less variety of beef cuts and less volume going on the shelf at one time.

They got kc strips n the bulk bag for 4.99 this week. I'm getting me some. I have never had a problem with any of there beef. It's Dillons grocery,owned by Kroger.

I think some of it is, people are creatures of habit. They "know" the nicer cuts are not in their budget so they don't even look at them. They go straight to the ground beef or roast or what they "know" is a budget cut.

I don't know how many times I have seen people with a store brand item in their carts when the name brand of the same thing was on sale for even less. They just don't pay attention.

piedmontese":ux4hsimj said:
Just looked today.
Chuck roast here is $4.47/lb.

Latest posts