Ike

Help Support CattleToday:

mjdtexan

Reaction score
Well, we still dont have power.. Our generator is costing us about $80 a day to run. Running two houses with it. We lost 9 trees.. One of them hit the main house. It racked the roof a little and did some damage but some of the lower branches actually slowed its fall and kept the damage to a minimum.. The power lines are down in our area and we dont know when that is going to get fixed. No cable of house phone. We are all safe though and we are gratefull for it. It did take some of the trees down along our property line that I was going to have to remove anyway for the barbed wire fence that we are going to be putting up. Lost our only pecan tree. Lots of BBQ wood I guess. I had to come to the library to check my email. Wont see an insurance adjuster till 10-06. Other than that I am good.

Glad damage was only to your surroundings. Sorry you had to go thru Ike so I could get a good rain. :)

Sounds like you've had a rough time. Ike was one heck of a storm. It was the second storm in 3 years for the folks in Cameron parish Louisiana. It had been 48 years without a bad storm when Rita hit in 2005. Hope things get better soon for you and your family.

Ike was a mess we got power Sat. still cleanin up trees down everywhere from a tornado, we were lucky no damage to the house, minor to barns and sheds fences etc. Cows are just now calming down they didn't get this worked up in Rita but we didn't have a tornado then either. I guess the tornado and all the stuff flying fried there little brains.

Thank Yall. We got power last night. We did hire an electrician to have our generator run the well last week, so we were able to shower. Cold showers though. We did take three hits to our brand new cyclone fence. Cant remove them untill the insurance adjuster gets here next monday. The second house took some roof damage as well, which caused the sheetrock to come down in one room and stains in the ceiling in two other rooms. We were getting ready to rent it out. Its insured as well, Thank God. I have to say that it has been a long while since we have had a storm that violent. The generator was running when the tree struck the main house. I never heard it fall but I was sitting in that corner of the house. It shook the whole house. Scared the stuff out of me. This house is a little log house that is over a hundred years old.

We are lucky that the damage wasnt to bad. Been burning branches for about a week. Have chopped plenty of pecan and oak wood for future BBQ's (which is my favorite thing to do - BBQ's, not chopping wood). Really hated to loose that pecan tree. It was our only one.

Latest posts