IGR and dung beatles

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Bought 20 bags of mineral Friday with IGR for some fly control. I have never used it before. While reading the label today it says for control of dung dwelling insects. Will this kill the dung beatles. If so I am taking it back. I have a good supply of dung beatles and don't want to kill them.

kenny thomas":1jq34yy4 said:
Bought 20 bags of mineral Friday with IGR for some fly control. I have never used it before. While reading the label today it says for control of dung dwelling insects. Will this kill the dung beatles. If so I am taking it back. I have a good supply of dung beatles and don't want to kill them.

Used it all last summer. Didn't do much to the beetles.

Of course it didn't do shyt for the fly's either.

I went to a seminar put n by one of the mineral companys and they claimed that Alosid is specific and doesn;t affect dung beetles. Don;t know how accuarte that is since we haven;t had dung beetles around here in years and years

dun":1924jgos said:
I went to a seminar put n by one of the mineral companys and they claimed that Alosid is specific and doesn;t affect dung beetles. Don;t know how accuarte that is since we haven;t had dung beetles around here in years and years

"Dung beetle friendly" as the company says.

3way...if you'd quit spoon feeding mineral and let them have the recommended dose you'd see good results.....(tight wad). :lol2:

IGR only gets one fly and that is (I believe)the horn fly and it does not get the other types of flies. I have better luck with cow rubs

IL cow man":u1wqupfq said:
IGR only gets one fly and that is (I believe)the horn fly and it does not get the other types of flies. I have better luck with cow rubs
It'll get the face flies too IF they lay their eggs in the manure containing the IGR. Regardless nothing is 100% effective. Rubs "help" but only come in contact with a small part of the body.

I distrust a lot of what is published due to how I witnessed what goes on in industry.
Here is what I found on research with the IGR's ingredient methoprene. Note in the 1991 research the number of animals in the trial. This is typical of much of the information we are "privileged" to receive and interpret.

Concern over methoprene's activity against beneficial organisms (in particular dung beetles) has been debated, especially with studies showing conflicting evidence.
Blume et al. (1974) found that cattle fed methoprene (in a gelatin capsule) at a rate of 1mg/kg produced dung that reduced Onthophagus gazella survival by 1.8% the day after treatment and 32.6% by day five. They also found as little as 5 ppm of methoprene (52.5% EC) mixed directly into dung could cause 33.3% mortality in O. gazella. One-hundred percent (100%) mortality was achieved by mixing 100 ppm of methoprene into dung. Adult beetles emerging from treated dung, however, were normal and produced normal offspring.
Fincher (1991) treated an animal with 3.8 mg/kg of methoprene in bolus form and subjected the dung beetles Onthophagus gazella and Sisyphus rubrus Pachalidis to its dung. He found no significant difference between the percent of adult eclosion in beetles using the control dung and those using the treated dung. Horn flies, however, feeding on the same treated dung experienced a 95.3% reduction in adult emergence even after 15 weeks post-treatment.

Please don't let my dung beetles read this as they are presently thriving in all this IGR laced cow manure.

It sure wiped out my dung beetles. It's been 5 years since I quit using it and they are just now making a comeback.

gabby":1bhdxclf said:
It sure wiped out my dung beetles. It's been 5 years since I quit using it and they are just now making a comeback.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19389300

Have you changed wormers or used other chemicals on your cattle?? Fly spray, delice, etc. ?? That would have more potential adverse affect on dung beetles than Methropene.

Latest posts