Ignition Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

wocattle

Reaction score
I have an 89 Ford F150, went out this morning to leave. Turned switch to on position and had no dash instrument lights,
continued to turn to the start position, engine turned over and started, released switch to on position and engine died. Replaced with new switch still has the same problem. What is the problem???

wocattle":3ga2cz9j said:
I have an 89 Ford F150, went out this morning to leave. Turned switch to on position and had no dash instrument lights,
continued to turn to the start position, engine turned over and started, released switch to on position and engine died. Replaced with new switch still has the same problem. What is the problem???

When you replaced the switch did your dash lights work OK?

As for the engine dieing, I would suspect a bad coil resistor.
There is a circuit in the ignition switch that bypasses the resistor during starting.

One possibility is a fusible link is burnt up. Something that supplies the ignition circuit is not getting the power there. Does it have a relay in that circuit?

Sounds like the rack is broken in the steering column.

Their is a little rack and the ign switch turns the teeth to start and to kill the truck. Sounds like it might be broken. Common on older trucks dont know about the 89 models.

Hope this helps JHH

Latest posts