I will wait on this one...

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Give her the night to get over that postpartum aggression. Lol

I get a lot of visitors. What amazes my visitors most about my cows is their docility. I can approach and put hands on every cow in my herd. Even this one but when Mercedes has a calf - be careful, at least until her postpartum hormones settle down.

I think this is a heifer and I am guessing about my average BW which is 87 pounds. I will take a pan of feed down in the morning and get the sex, BW, administer Inforce 3 and First Defense. Until then, I am going to let her unwind.

TCRanch said:
Oh yeah, that's beyond stink eye - she's ready to eat you for lunch! Good call. Maybe wait until afternoon.

She was pumped. Lol

She is the most unpredictable cow. I have had her give me a couple head fakes. So I watch her. Last year, I had no problem. But she was not in a good mood. That was just a couple hours ago.

Bright Raven said:
TCRanch said:
Oh yeah, that's beyond stink eye - she's ready to eat you for lunch! Good call. Maybe wait until afternoon.

She was pumped. Lol

She is the most unpredictable cow. I have had her give me a couple head fakes. So I watch her. Last year, I had no problem. But she was not in a good mood. That was just a couple hours ago.

How was your salmon?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:
TCRanch said:

She was pumped. Lol

How was your salmon?

Perfect. :p

Yep. You made the right choice. That gal is in full defense mode.
Be careful tomorrow my friend; I ain't quite ready for that call yet. ;-)

sim.-ang.king said:
Just need a big stick. :lol:

Buddy, that is exactly how dad handled them. I saw him get penned against a concrete wall by a big holstein. When he got room, he was hitting that cow with anything he could get his hands on. My dad was a good person but he had his bad habits.

What a difference the night has made in her.

Dam: Mercedes, PB Simmental.
Sire: Grandmaster
DOB: 10/28/2019
282 Day Gestation
Weight: 88 pounds
Heifer
Very thrifty. She had the udder nursed down and Mercedes has a decent size udder.
I found the placenta this morning and disposed of it.
Gave Inforce 3 in each nostril and got a First Defense Bolus down.

Glad she settled down. It pays to KNOW your cattle's personalities in a situation like you have. But, just remember, some times they completely change from year to year. Next year, 1 day may not be enough waiting time. Hope you are at least out there on a quad, not just walking around by yourself!
I like Grandmaster. I have a couple daughters in the herd.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Glad she settled down. It pays to KNOW your cattle's personalities in a situation like you have. But, just remember, some times they completely change from year to year. Next year, 1 day may not be enough waiting time. Hope you are at least out there on a quad, not just walking around by yourself!
I like Grandmaster. I have a couple daughters in the herd.

I like Grandmaster. I have a couple with Grandmaster in the pedigree.

sim.-ang.king said:

We like to band the new bulls within an hour or two of calving. We let the cow clean them up, let the calf eat, and when it curls up to nap that's when we try to sneak in and do the business. Our cows are pets for the most part but we always keep a club handy because sometimes they get a little over zealous and forget who owns the farm. If the calf stays quiet, it's usually all good and momma may not do much more than look up from eating. If the calf bawls, it's usually exciting.

I have one old cow that is psychotic at calving.. she's due in a month or so... it takes her about 2-3 days to settle down. Right now she loves her belly rubs and everything.
The rest of mine are all quiet

I don't believe in using a stick.
IF I can reach them with a stick, they are waaayyyy tooo close for me to avoid them. All well and good, if you pop one on the nose and she turns away, but if she DOESN'T........

JParrott said:
sim.-ang.king said:

We like to band the new bulls within an hour or two of calving. We let the cow clean them up, let the calf eat, and when it curls up to nap that's when we try to sneak in and do the business. Our cows are pets for the most part but we always keep a club handy because sometimes they get a little over zealous and forget who owns the farm. If the calf stays quiet, it's usually all good and momma may not do much more than look up from eating. If the calf bawls, it's usually exciting.

Truth!

Had that lone calf let out a bawl last March. Before I could get up there was 20+ cows running me into the woods. I made a few laps around some trees and everyone settled down

Ky cowboy said:
Had that lone calf let out a bawl last March. Before I could get up there was 20+ cows running me into the woods. I made a few laps around some trees and everyone settled down

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you! Well, now that it's over and you're (we're) still in one piece. :lol2:

I've got one that goes nuts too at calving. She just had her fourth calf and was the most polite I've seen after about 12 hours. But right after calving you better keep your distance.

I have some that are bluffing and I'm cautious around them. But I had a first calf heifer red angus last year that was not bluffing, and if it weren't for that gate between us she would have killed me. She hit that gate like she meant it, and was pretty high headed for a couple days. I gave her a pretty wide space when walking around the barnyard and pasture.