I need some serious $ making ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

Good posts Brandonm22! Need I say who this quote is directed to?

A little old saying:
The perfect slave is the one that says "I am not a slave".
It is like an alcoholic saying he isn´t an alcoholic so therefore he will always be an alcoholic.
Get my drift?

A fish in the ocean can´t see that birds are flying in the sky.

Bez has the only feasible ideas given so far. Relitively low start up costs. But your wife had better be able to support you for a few years while you go through the learning curve and get the business started.
Selling products made with surplus production could also lead into more income. Ever had homemade chicken noddle soup made from range chickens, and home made noodles made from range eggs?
More money could be had by selling a book on how to do it, once you learn how.

novatech":ruqesmr4 said:
But your wife had better be able to support you for a few years while you go through the learning curve and get the business started.

Thats the problem here. As I understand it (TN correct me if I am wrong) he needs to net $80,000 a year over the next three years in order to live and pay off this debt. I would much rather go to the bank and do a conventional 30 year than do this and risk that he can't pay off the Mennonites in 3 years of improving the property.

He needs $80,000 a year. To cover costs of fertilizer, feed, taxes, parts and repairs, seeds, equipment, fuel, startup, and other operating costs I am GUESSING that gross is 3 times net so we really are talking about $240,000 worth of production NOT $80,000.

Using Bez's free range chickens, at $5 per free range chicken, he needs to raise 48,000 chickens a year to do that. In three batches that would be 16,000 chickens per batch. At 200 chickens per portable pen, that would be 80 portable pens to move every day.

If he did organic vegetables, and got (I am guessing wildly here) $60 per bushel he would need to sell 4000 bushels per year. Assume an acre yields ~2800 lbs of produce or 51 bushels per year and he needs 78 acres of organic vegetable gardens

If he did free range hogs, and got $429 per pig (assuming 55% marketable dressing%, 260 lbs per pig, and $3 a pound of product, he would need to sell 560 pigs. At 18 pigs per sow per year that is roughly a 31 sow herd.

If you combined direct marketing, 26 acres of organic vegetables (grossing $80,000), 12 sows farrowing twice a year (grossing ~$80,000), and 2 batches of 8000 organic chickens (grossing $80,000) fertilizing the heck out of the garden fields in the winter/late spring and late fall/winter.......theoretically this is doable. I don't see how they do this much work and a lot of marketing is required. I don't recommend trying this, but if you just HAD to do this this is the best that I can come up with.

how long did it take to come up with that..i can hardlt do that math as i read it....seriously..did this guy think he was goona git an answer to an impossible question...id say call donald trump and invest all yer mone in some stock and do nnothing...be alot easier losin it all that way than in this pipe dream

You need to get the local sheriff to invest and put in a house of ill repute. :roll:
Maybe check out how you could use some government grant money.

tncattle,
I don't know of any realistic way to do what you want to do. If I (we) knew how to do it we would be doing it.
Dreams are fine but it usually takes a long time and a lot of work to bring them into reality. In the mean time I would suggest you keep your feet on the ground and do your best with what you have got. But keep your eyes open if opportunity should happen to come your way.

Don't lose what you have by trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.
I don't know how old you are, but what I think you really need is patience and time.
When I was a young man a very wise and successful man said to me, " Enjoy what you have. The harder you struggle, the further away you push it." Took me a long time to begin to understand what he meant. I hope you are smarter.

Good luck to you.

tobacco and staked tomatoes are the only things I can think of that will make that much legally. Timber would be a good place to start if it's any good. Prices are way down on that as well, though. I clear 1000-1200 dollars an acre on tobacco, but I can't imagine 65 acres of it. Some guys do it, not me. Then again, you won't turn a profit your first year if you don't have access to the required equipment, barns, or knowledge, not to mention the army of migrant workers you would have to locate.

Ryder":1sw3j4xl said:
tncattle,
I don't know of any realistic way to do what you want to do. If I (we) knew how to do it we would be doing it.
Dreams are fine but it usually takes a long time and a lot of work to bring them into reality. In the mean time I would suggest you keep your feet on the ground and do your best with what you have got. But keep your eyes open if opportunity should happen to come your way.

Don't lose what you have by trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.
I don't know how old you are, but what I think you really need is patience and time.
When I was a young man a very wise and successful man said to me, " Enjoy what you have. The harder you struggle, the further away you push it." Took me a long time to begin to understand what he meant. I hope you are smarter.

Good luck to you.

That's probably the best advice that you'll ever get on the subject.

And.......

Brandonm22":1sw3j4xl said:
We don't need to beat up on the Arkansas guy.

Why not? It's always fun to kick him around a little bit! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

grannysoo":1brwko23 said:
Why not? It's always fun to kick him around a little bit! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Payback is a muttha... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is for the orginal poster tncattle....this person is/was....enlightened, one could say.

"Before accepting a certain knowledge, you have to investigate where it comes from. Do you know where the "knowledge" that was just typed out comes from, when it was released, how it became and by whose hands? More importantly, who controlled those hands documenting it? .........Investigate the roots of what you.....see for yourself, it is for your own good. Knowledge does not just appear out of nothing, it is passed on, always...there are no exceptions."

Unknown

dieselbeef":g63ll3ix said:
how long did it take to come up with that..i can hardlt do that math as i read it....

I like word problems. I do the math on a Open format Office spread sheet as I go along. Which makes it a lot easier and faster than scribbling it out on paper.

This is just a thought but you could look in to it my stepdad was going to but my mom wouldnt let him :roll: fence in all of it with i think it is 6 feet of fencing and put either red deer,elk,or exotic animals..i dont know about where u live but theres a good many places that have fenced in places im talking 100reds of acres and those people would pay big buck to take the animal and put it in there place and hunt it or let people pay them to hunt it..

Tn cattle, If I understand right, the price for this place is 240,000. I think that is a pretty good buy for what your getting, sounds like. I would try to go another route for financng it, and completely get rid of your LOVE for this place, it puts you at a definite disadvantage in negotiation, be ready to walk. Something else will come available that has more acreage, better facilities, lower price etc. With that said, all of the options discussed and more are definite possibilities, diversification is the answer, limited only by your imagination. I don't think however you can devote enough time to it with a 100 mile commute each way unless your wife and children are REALLY ready to shoulder a heavy load. How old are the children?

Cut flowers! Sunflowers -cut the small ones for florest shops,dry the large ones for hanging for birds. really trendy. Look into what else will grow for where you are. Tuberose is a good one,stock also..

Maybe you could sell some timber. I don't know much about it except for what I've read. Everything i've read recommends consulting a forester. Be careful there are alot of horror stories.

Latest posts