I just don't fit in~~

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Not anywhere anymore..went to the Senior citizins center--nice people,but they all wanted to play cards or some other type of table game-never learned how,don't want to.. :( Went to Bingo-there again,nice people,not my thing.. :help: Got invited to a penning,would have loved it,but is physicaly impossiable to do that.. Just so much tv I can stand,read so fast I can't buy books,and have run thro the genra & authors I like..Too hot to do needlework,cooking for just me is a joke...takes me aaallllll day to clean house(which I absolutely hate) Everything is a physical struggle.If I wash cloths,gotta hang them out,then I'm shot for the rest of the day :roll: .My mind seems to be still sharp,but then again,how would I know if it wasn't.. :???: Sorry-playing on computer is ok,but gotta come over here :compute: Would take up drinkin' :drink: but can't stand the taste..SO-there are some great minds out there,can you help me find something to do on my 4 days off? I'm goin'nutz here :tiphat: :lol2:

mermill2":3tgnau6a said:
Are you interested in geneology?That takes time and can be quite interesing.
Somewhat,but wouldn't that take a computer? I'm only garenteed 30 min here.. Got an Irish Grandfather I'd like to know more about.. can't afford more than free for anything I do..

Peg, do you have 4 days off every week? Or, are you on vacation?

See what's out there in the way of volunteering. I'll bet there's a list of volunteer organizations there at the library. You could volunteer to answer the phones at a shelter, maybe, or enter names and addresses on the computer at some other charitable organization. Just look at the list...ya' never know.

Alice

Peg my wife has a lot of extra time from time to time. Recently she's got into scrapbooking....has tons of sstuff to put in them. Also she's got out all the old photo albums, removed the pics. and bought new albums and is putting them all back in order, with notations etc....sort of a picture story of "our life together". It's time consuming but she loves doing it and thinks of it as something to leave the kids.

One morning a week she gets with the other members of the "Altar Society" and they clean the church, and arrange new altar flowers etc. then they have coffee, tea and cookies and socialize a couple of hours. She also loves to read.

Since you are blessed with the ability to read well. What about donating some time to reading to either children or some folks who are not as fortunate. I often find that donating my time to others makes me feel good inside for some reason and it takes my mind off some of my troubles.

peg4x4":1hoy4xir said:
Not anywhere anymore..went to the Senior citizins center--nice people,but they all wanted to play cards or some other type of table game-never learned how,don't want to.. :( Went to Bingo-there again,nice people,not my thing.. :help: Got invited to a penning,would have loved it,but is physicaly impossiable to do that.. Just so much tv I can stand,read so fast I can't buy books,and have run thro the genra & authors I like..Too hot to do needlework,cooking for just me is a joke...takes me aaallllll day to clean house(which I absolutely hate) Everything is a physical struggle.If I wash cloths,gotta hang them out,then I'm shot for the rest of the day :roll: .My mind seems to be still sharp,but then again,how would I know if it wasn't.. :???: Sorry-playing on computer is ok,but gotta come over here :compute: Would take up drinkin' :drink: but can't stand the taste..SO-there are some great minds out there,can you help me find something to do on my 4 days off? I'm goin'nutz here :tiphat: :lol2:

Sounds like life is getting boring. I would reccomend a love affair.

Got a public library nearby? spend afternoons there. Read more non-fiction, I find that non fiction and educational type reading makes you want to slow down a bit, comprehend more. The thing about fiction every event has been done over and over and you just fly though it because it is so predictable. I gave up on fiction years ago.

I can sympathize Peg, all the things you say you don't like, I don't either . I've never had a hobby, thus far for me work has been everything . That being said, with a little attitude change maybe we could learn to like some of these activties . There have been some excellent suggestions, getting involved with your local church as TB suggested is always a good source of activity .

My wife takes a basket class and just loves it . We have those baskets sitting everywhere, but she really enjoys it and in the end I think it is because of the friends she has made, and that takes a little time .

Hang in there Peg, pick 1 one of the suggestions that sounds the least offensive and give it a try .I would force myself to stay with it for a predetermined length of time, just to give it a real chance .

Larry

Guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself :oops: Got some medical tests comeing up next week that'll tell me where I go from here.. I like to read,and at work,my job is to talk to people,find out if anything about the store bothers them,where's this or that,fun job,3 days a week..
However,there's something in the air here that makes it real hard for me to breath,so I'm stuck inside :frowns: All my life I've been out working with animals,throwing hay,outside stuff-so now,I'm like a wolf in a cage.. :mad: I'm not adjusting well...........my mind is still 25/30--body is not...

Peg, I can empathize with you. I am not aged (not quite 40) or have any serious medical issues but when I was younger (teens into late to late 20's) I seemed to find ways to abuse my body thinking it would always be solid. From football in high school,martial arts training, jumping from planes as a paratrooper, fast roping from helicopters, crashing in a helicopter, stomped by a horse, having a horse fall on top of me, falling out of a treestand, knocked over by a large wild boar and several other unlucky happenings......my body says ENOUGH! I have to keep moving cause if I sit down I get real stiff and all my joints hurt. I am too stiff to exercise like I want to so age and the wife's cooking has got me further out of shape than I ever thought I would be. Now I notice that my ears have gotten bad from years of gunfire and explosions and I think I need glasses. I'm falling apart too early. If I knew this I would have went to college right out of school and got a job as an executive or something....right now I have to settle for CEO of my own farm :cowboy:

john250":3ebz4i7z said:
peg4x4":3ebz4i7z said:
I'm not adjusting well...........my mind is still 25/30--body is not...

Welcome to the club. Everything hurts more than it used to.

Ain't it the truth.

If my body was in the same place that my mind was, I would be dangerous. Aches, pane, fatigue, grey hair, and more are just a part of life. It's bad to say, but to sleep anymore, I have to go to bed with Jack Daniels.....

Never thought that I'd sleep with another man. :help:

I know you said your body has aches and pains, but if you have a nice park to visit, walking is always good exercise and fun too, to go into the woods, etc..

Also swimming is very good for the joints etc...and if there is a city pool by you, could be a good way to meet some people.

When the schools start up again, go there and see if they need volunteers for the reading programs they have, they are always looking for reading buddies at the local schools here. I've done it several times and it is a hoot, plus you are helping the kids learn to read better, and getting them hooked on books.

GMN

You love the animals... is there a shelter where you could volunteer, heck, they may pay you! I know you probably couldn't walk them, but even to play with them would be appreciated I bet.

Good luck in your quest! :D

Michele

Peg,
Are you in the country? Here we have a need for someone to host 4H (city)kids who don't have a place to keep their animals. Didn't know if this was an option but if each kid was assigned a day of the week to come do the "chores" for whatever animals you had there (rabbits, pigs, goats, etc) then the work would be done for you and you could just assist them in advising of their care. Maybe not something you would be interested in but sure would make some great memories for some kids. Just a thought.

I don't DARE go to an animal shelter!! I had to get them to come by and pick up some boxes of cat litter (sale) the cats would not use..If I went there,I'd have 2 dozen dogs and 3 dozen cats,to say nothing of a horse/cow/goat or two!! And there's no room in the shower for any of them. :lol2: . After this test tomorrow I'll know which direction to go..All suggestions are useful,and I'll think on all of them. :tiphat: . Just gotta be sure and not promis anything I won't be able to carry thro..

Peg,

Don't remeber who said it, but volunteering at a nursing home or such would benefit you, (as an avid reader), and also some elderly, that love books as well.

My Mom, loved to read, but has since developed Parkinsons, and shakes so bad, she can't hold the book still enough to read.

As my other post said,now I'm out of work,but will be recovering from surgery..That'll take up most of my time..thanks for the suggestions,mabe next year I can do one/some of them..

Latest posts