I hate these things

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score

I'm glad I don't have to watch every step at the farm.

This thing coiled up next to the door at work last night. Scared a poor girl half to death. I finally found him tonight. I think he'll behave himself now.

Go 10-15 miles north of me, and rattlers are plentiful. Nobody has ever seen one in my area. Hope it stays that way. We do have copperheads galore though.

Jo, yeah I did not care for him setting up shop right there. But, it was pretty easy pickings for him. The light drew the bugs, the bugs drew the toads. Thinking back, I noticed the toad population dropped all of a sudden.

At another location, there was a little fox that would come it at night to raid all the bugs under the parking lot lights. That was pretty fun to watch all his acrobatics.

Dave, he was a dull kind. Had to lay flat on the ground to shine a light under a container. I'd have preferred him to have been of the shiny variety as my eyes, like Toby Keith, aren't as good as they once was. Had to get closer than I desired to see him. I dont remember all the rules on dull vs shiny, but I think that makes the dull kind much more dangerous. At least seemed that way while we were staring at each other face to face.

BF, I guess if I had to choose knowing what I know, I'd take a copperhead bite over a diamond back. But that would be a pretty crappy consolation prize. Those copper heads seem like their sneaky to me. I'm rather thankful we don't have to deal with any at the farm, except a water moccasin once in a long while and only around ponds and the river. There are some gypsom formations around that have more than their share of diamond backs, and north of us about 20 miles they see a few prairie rattlers.

Latest posts