I hate Bulls!

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I hate bulls! Is there anything they can not tear up? So far since we got our bull back from loaning him out over the winter, he has tore down two fences made with wire panels, Demolished a Picnic table that we had at pond for those fishing days, demolished a mineral feeder that I had to swim out in pond to drag out of it, bent the crap out of a metal pipe gate.

And today his most recent victim he has demolished the creep panels around a creep feeder. I think I am going to change his name to Tornado, because when he goes through an area it looks like an F5 has touched down. :mad:

aplusmnt":3k25pwua said:
I hate bulls! Is there anything they can not tear up? So far since we got our bull back from loaning him out over the winter, he has tore down two fences made with wire panels, Demolished a Picnic table that we had at pond for those fishing days, demolished a mineral feeder that I had to swim out in pond to drag out of it, bent the crap out of a metal pipe gate.

And today his most recent victim he has demolished the creep panels around a creep feeder. I think I am going to change his name to Tornado, because when he goes through an area it looks like an F5 has touched down. :mad:

Nope. That's just what bulls do. Is he alone? If he has company, he might be less destructive. Is he young? I think they get better with age. Sort of like a puppy chewing up the water hoses. But I've seen a yearling bull put his head against the grill of the truck and push, just testing it out. If not for a fence post, the same bull would have put our 4-wheeler in the pond. We did drag a hay ring out of the pond that young bulls pushed in. We hang our plastic mineral barrels in trees and some of the bulls take that as an invitation to use it as a punching bag.

Frankie":2mtlallv said:
aplusmnt":2mtlallv said:

Nope. That's just what bulls do. Is he alone? If he has company, he might be less destructive. Is he young? I think they get better with age. Sort of like a puppy chewing up the water hoses. But I've seen a yearling bull put his head against the grill of the truck and push, just testing it out. If not for a fence post, the same bull would have put our 4-wheeler in the pond. We did drag a hay ring out of the pond that young bulls pushed in. We hang our plastic mineral barrels in trees and some of the bulls take that as an invitation to use it as a punching bag.

He is a three year old, and is in with the cows, he should be busy breeding not tearing stuff up.

He is probably just spoiled he was showed when young and use to large quantities of feed, now he gets rescue only. That creep feeder feed was probably bring back the fond memories of corn and oats :lol:

I'd take him to the Sale Barn unless you need some freezer beef. A bull that is that destructive will rapidly use up his $$ Value in tearing things up.

If you intend to keep him, you probably need to put him in a pipe fenced area (with some females). However, pipe fencing will probably cost more than the bull is worth.

Sorry about all your troubles!

aplusmnt":2n6ihplr said:
I hate bulls! Is there anything they can not tear up?

Any animal, bull or not, not respecting a fence can expect to be gone in a matter of hours and certainly not more than a week.

If the rest catch on to this you are in trouble.

ALX

As I always said about my bull- he can't be tearin up a rock bar in a sandbox, but he, if so minded, will surely totally destroy the sandbox and leave the rockbar rustin in the bare dirt. ;-)

The bull is easy to keep in, we have some pretty bad fences and none of the cows get out unless I leave the gate open. The fence he broke was one with some heifers in it and he was just being a bull, when they came in heat.

I figure the other things were what he viewed as his personal toys.

We have an old gas tank that is not on stand and he has that thing pushed all over the field also.

Been fortunate that he is not tried to get out. Neighbor has some cows adjoining us now and he has not even tried to get in with them as I know they should be some in heat now.

Do you do pasture rotation, i.e. MIG or similar. Maybe I'm just lucky but Pdro and his harem get moved every few days and he tends to patrol his new "kingdom" for a couple of days before he gets bored. He's only got 9 cows and calves to check (cows are probably all bred by now) multiple times a day to see if anyone is in heat, that's why I'm surprised he hasn;t started getting into mischief.

Caustic Burno":1cxwluv7 said:
PM me I will put in touch with some quality Hereford breeders that raise theres on grass. Hard to take one off welfare once he has been on it.

I was really surprised that he has not fell apart, I was worried about that after he led his pampered life as youngster. But been real lucky he adapted to the fescue.

But I will get them Hereford breeders from you when it comes time to replace him.

dun":3u0i3zau said:
Do you do pasture rotation, i.e. MIG or similar. Maybe I'm just lucky but Pdro and his harem get moved every few days and he tends to patrol his new "kingdom" for a couple of days before he gets bored. He's only got 9 cows and calves to check (cows are probably all bred by now) multiple times a day to see if anyone is in heat, that's why I'm surprised he hasn;t started getting into mischief.

No he pretty well has run of 100 acres and 20 cows.

dun":1ldyz395 said:

No he pretty well has run of 100 acres and 20 cows.

Sounds like he's got a lot of energy. And I know, bad fences can cause bad cattle.

I think most show bulls are like that. They had the good life plus all the feed. The one I had was like that but I dont' own him now. He left the show ring and went with cows. He bred everything then started trushing stuff.

I've read on these boards from time to time that people have a lot of trouble with their bulls. Is this an age thing or is it breed? I haven't had trouble with either of my two bulls yet. I'm just wondering if it's just a matter of time?

The bull we have is a three year old Angus, and he tears up anything that will give to his weight and strength. He tries everything. Of course, some things we can stop with electricity.

He used Dun's mineral feeders as a punching bag. He would hit it in rythum with his head untill it was in several pieces. It sounded like someone was beating a drum in the distance.
He seems to enjoy destroying things that are purchased.

Having said that, he is a very gentle bull. I still keep my eye on him, and try to expect the unexpected.
Up to this point, I hope he passes this disposition.
Chuckie