i gotta be doing cattle wrong

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
i mean..im doing okay..they support themselves..but i have culled 6 of the 11 i had cause of bad bags..too fat(ate that one) ,crazy,..take yer poison....

i got 7 real nice hiefers but i finally started making some money and its only cuz i sold off half the dam herd. i still got 15 animals but geez man its gonna be awhile now before i get back to having a dozen calfs and idk..im frustrated with the whole thing lately.

no rain...always some kinda problem weaning or fencing or geez what today...been that way lately...

gary

Db.. I can understand your frustration.. and it sometimes is worse one year than another. I know we have been through some times where we wondered..."what the hell am I doing this for".. then my insanity kicks in and I realize its because I love it. :bang:
This IS a good time to do some of your best culling, but the replacements can be expensive unless your holding back some of your own.
Hang in there pardner....

yeah..im ventin ....im just buried with crap to do and its frustratin..itll come round soon enough

gary

wheres the postwhore..hes late

Gary sh*t happens.
We all know that. We have been trying for several years to get our numbers up to 75 cows, but sh*t happened and we had to ship some and then we couldn't keep as many heifer calves as we wanted.
One foot in front of the other is all I can tell ya.

Hope it rains for you soon.

yeah i keep wantin tio get up round 15 cows...but never got any closer than 12...and culled my butt off so im behind again

ill feel better whn i can turn out the 7 hiefers im sitting on...culling another one tonite if i can catch the crazy .....cow

dieselbeef":v6q2i3r0 said:
yeah i keep wantin tio get up round 15 cows...but never got any closer than 12...and culled my butt off so im behind again
All this because of 12 or fewer cows :!:
Good thing you don't have a herd, say 100 or 200 or more.
Are you sure you want to be a cowman? Think about it. :nod:

Maybe shift focus a little. Cull for things that are absulutely not tolerable like a temperment bad enough that you're scared of her and let the rest of it slide. Then once you fill your pasture start voluntary culling for things like udders as you have better cattle to replace them with. In the meantime focus on genetic improvement and then your thinking will automatically be on the future and it keeps you motivated.

Ryder":3a8zdmqb said:
dieselbeef":3a8zdmqb said:
All this because of 12 or fewer cows :!:
Good thing you don't have a herd, say 100 or 200 or more.
Are you sure you want to be a cowman? Think about it. :nod:
I second that, this is a tuff industry.

Can't you just feed them more of those citrus pellets and fix their temperament? :cowboy:

hooknline":34393k5y said:
Can't you just feed them more of those citrus pellets and fix their temperament? :cowboy:
Best and fasted way to fix a temperament problem is to pass it to the highest bidder. Be careful the next time you buy.

dieselbeef":2jmnvyjk said:

Don't fret....if your always behind you have a goal to shoot for. I culled to 28 from 120 over 3 years because of the dry weather...lost the last one to not get shipped to a breach birth...lost the calf and the cow on top of a 425 vet bill. Two more have calved since then and have come up with poor udders...everyone has stories to tell. Just dust yourself off and say DAM

1982vett":3tatf7gq said:
dieselbeef":3tatf7gq said:

Don't fret....if your always behind you have a goal to shoot for. I culled to 28 from 120 over 3 years because of the dry weather...lost the last one to not get shipped to a breach birth...lost the calf and the cow on top of a 425 vet bill. Two more have calved since then and have come up with poor udders...everyone has stories to tell. Just dust yourself off and say DAM
From 120 to 28 is a good sized drop. :help: Maybe you have grounds to complain, but it wouldn't do any good.:(

oh i aint gettin out...just kinda regrouping right now i guess.

yall with huge herds dont always see it this way but when you cull a dozen out of 200 its not as big a hit as when i cull 8 out of 23...

citrus pellets laced with prozac or something maybe post whore....

what i got is good...got 7 comin over to the bull the end of summer...thatll be back to 14 and the bull. i also got 6 calves comin in the fall plus im buying 4 more beefmaster heifers next month.

one o them things...still in the blk but not fer long

highgrit":3rky6sjh said:
DB have you found any toys in the pasture lately? This rain deal stinks.

haha...not besides a pr of crotchless red and a wrapper...

funny ya mention that cuz i was telling a guy whos calfs i background for the winter and he laughed his butt off. he knows my property from when his grampa had it...he thought it was hilarious :banana:

Latest posts