I believe the Pregscan ultrasound is worth having

Help Support CattleToday:

kjonesel

Reaction score
I had been thinking about getting an ultrasound for several years but couldn't pull the trigger and just buy one. My wife and son bought the Pregscan for my Christmas gift and I have used it on about 15 head so far. I pretty much AI everything except I had a bull run with 7 cows for a short while last summer. When I weaned I was able to check on a couple of cows that if they were open were going to the market. I was able to do it at my convenience which allowed me to get it done. This afternoon I had a cow that was 22 days since her last breeding and showed slight signs of being in heat. I wasn't going to breed her because of when she would be due but decided to ultrasound her. After just a minute I showed a confirmed pregnancy. Just that gave me piece of mind and will keep me from having to watch her for heat on the next cycle.
Currently I'm running 45 breeding age females and it would be impossible to cost flow but I now consider it a piece of equipment on the same level as a set of calf pullers. Something that if you have it you will use it.

22 days? That's pretty darn short. Is that the unit that beeps at you if there is fluid? The only fluid that is going to be registering at 22 days is a really big or cystic follicle.

It sends a signal and it strikes the mass. It took time to learn proper position and setting of the sensitivity. I had to learn the machine.

ricebeltrancher":2uj87s3w said:
22 days? That's pretty darn short. Is that the unit that beeps at you if there is fluid? The only fluid that is going to be registering at 22 days is a really big or cystic follicle.
I'm a bit sceptical like you ricebelt.
Ken

The blood tests are a lot cheaper. I couldn't justify $2,500 when the blood test is $3.
And usually you want the cows to be bred 60 days before you feel the cow is "safe" in calf.

Finally got a chance to get back on. When I did the pregnancy check I took a blood sample because I was also skepticle in my use of the machine and its accurcy I received the results back and she was pregnant. I do want to emphasize that the machine does take time to learn to use. In the future as I become more comfortable with it I believe it will go quicker. My main reason for it working for me is that I can have the results when I may have the cow in the chute whether that is early in the morning or late at night. Since I am 100% AI it will help eliminate breeding with false heats.

Latest posts