I am home today!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I spent a harrowing 8 hours in the ER yesterday and I thought of that thread about what health care was like in this country. I awoke rearly yesterday, 'bout a quarter to one, with very sharp abdominal pain and nausea. I spend the next hour figuring out whether to sit or kneel, then settled on the "sit with trashcan on lap" pose. Not comfie. Hurt to lay down or stand up. Sent Steve off to Waco and called him about an hour later to come back home. All that time I was sitting in the bathroom in the dark? Well, when I turned on the lights, well, it looked like a crime scene in the toilet. Freaked me out GOOD.

Turns out I have diverticulitis, but I thought I had bought the farm. One CAT scan, two each of IV anti-biotics and morphine and three prescriptions later, I was home. How much will all this cost me? Well, when Steve tried to cut off his fingers this spring, it was almost 5k for stitches, an x-ray and some bandaids. Our part was 400.00 give or take. I am on a clear liquid diet today so I aint going anywhere.

It was scary. What was the best scare your body ever gave you?

Man, that sounds bad. Take care of yourself. You'll be getting the bill, I'm sure, but be grateful that you have insurance. I saw a blog recently about a guy fighting with Blue Cross Blue Shield about paying for the anesthesiologist when his wife delivered their baby. The anesthesiologist wasn't a "preferred" BCBS provider, so they weren't going to pay him, BUT he was the only one on duty at the hospital that night. Finally they did pay, but over a period of several months. When he asked why they were dragging it out, because the doctor was billing him directly, they said, "sometimes the doctor will discount to get payment quicker." :mad:

Lammie I know a couple of people who have had that. They really had to watch what they ate. Among other things they couldn't eat popcorn or things with seeds like blackberries. One of my good friends had it and kept having problens so she went ahead and had the surgery to correct it. She said she is glad she did since she can eat what she wants now without having to worry about that.

Frankie":1xiqa1wn said:
Man, that sounds bad. Take care of yourself. You'll be getting the bill, I'm sure, but be grateful that you have insurance. I saw a blog recently about a guy fighting with Blue Cross Blue Shield about paying for the anesthesiologist when his wife delivered their baby. The anesthesiologist wasn't a "preferred" BCBS provider, so they weren't going to pay him, BUT he was the only one on duty at the hospital that night. Finally they did pay, but over a period of several months. When he asked why they were dragging it out, because the doctor was billing him directly, they said, "sometimes the doctor will discount to get payment quicker." :mad:

I had the same thing happen several years ago when I went to the ER, probably with the same illness, only they never diagnosed it. (Long story, but I would rather not ever go to that hospital again.) Anyway, I got this bill for a doctor that was not on my plan. I started with a doctor that was, but then the shift changed and the next doc was not. I had to really fight it.

You know, going to the ER is not my idea of a good time. I have to be really fearful of my health to do so. I am not going to ask if the doctor in charge takes my plan. I was under the impression that the insurance would cover every doc in the ER. I would understand it if you were having elective surgery or something, but sometimes it gets rediculous.

This morning, my main issue is the liquid diet, which bites, and how to get this funky metalic taste out of my mouth from the antibiotics.

That funky metallic taste is from the morphine - it should clear in the next few hours. Stick to the diet and discharge instructions until you go for a follow up appointment with a GI doctor.

And stop worrying so much about selling the place and getting moved. You'll wind up with ulcers.

Gee Lammie that is rough! Just try and let the others around you do for you until you get back on your feet.

My health horror story is when my daughter was born. I was so excited about the contractions! ha I was just so excited to have this baby. Little did I know! Long story short, I had a placenta abruta(spelling?) Its when the placenta starts tearing away from the uterine wall. Lots of blood. We lived in a very rural area and had to wait some time for a surgeon. I woke up from surgery, they let me touch her and then they wisked her away to a neonatel ICU a couple of hours away. A couple of days later I got discharged and headed to the other hospital. She was there for 2weeks. Pretty scary stuff, but thank god things turned out ok. The only thing that insurance didn't cover was her amulance ride to the other hospital. In 1994 total bill for both of us $40,000.00! You asked!

Hang in there Lammie and take good care of yourself.

Glad you are ok Lammie. I have had couple bouts of that but not at your level so I can relate.

NO SEEDS, NUTS, SKINS. Shall I go on? :lol:

flaboy?":1qbhgcch said:
Glad you are ok Lammie. I have had couple bouts of that but not at your level so I can relate.

NO SEEDS, NUTS, SKINS. Shall I go on? :lol:

Nothing I have been eating, in other words. What a bland dietary world...

Wow that was close. Diverticulitis can be very bad news but it sounds like you are doing well. Keep an eye on it and take care of yourself.
As for the liquid diet, Mike has been on a liquid diet for years and you see what it has done to him.

Hang in there, Lammie.

I go to church with a bunch of 70's and above, and find it disheartening how people can be sitting around minding their own business and BOOM their bodies attack them. I know it's not really like that but it sure seems like it at times.

Lammie":2v439dkt said:
CUZ":2v439dkt said:
Hang in there, Lammie.

I go to church with a bunch of 70's and above quote]

Excuse me? :shock:

Hahahahahahahahaha. (Not laughing at you, laughing at me.)

Weren't saying you were in that age bracket, just saying that because I associate with folks who's bodies seem to attack them out of the blue, I could understand that it happens.

Didn't think you'd take it that way, that I thought you were 85 years old.

I don't know if I should be embarrassed that I somehow accidently insulted you but I'm definitely amused that my attempt at empathy was misconstrued as I think you're ancient.

I hope this rambling explains my position. :)

CUZ":2lezaamz said:
Lammie":2lezaamz said:
CUZ":2lezaamz said:
Hang in there, Lammie.

Weren't saying you were in that age bracket, just saying that because I associate with folks who's bodies seem to attack them out of the blue, I could understand that it happens.

I don't know if I should be embarrassed that I somehow accidently insulted you but I'm definitely amused that my attempt at empathy was misconstrued as I think you're ancient.

Very funny, Cuz. Unfortunately, I am, at 43, getting to where my body does suddenly explode on me...

My body has never given me a scare but I have sure scared it a few times.
Back when I was riding bareback broncs I had two doctors tell me that they were going to have to cut my right leg off at the knee. My reply was, "I am too young to be a team roper." Luckily the third doctor was better and the leg is still attached. There is still a soft spot in my heart for good old Doc Millet, I hope he is really enjoying his retirement.

Lammie":10gm5u7n said:
Very funny, Cuz. Unfortunately, I am, at 43, getting to where my body does suddenly explode on me...

Hey Lammie, I'm 53 and occasionally mine will bark at me. Like walking along and POW something inside my left calf feels like it popped. Or getting up and having to stretch so the heel will cooperate (Dr Schol's heel inserts really help.) But as far as a major attack, I've been lucky so far.

So are we now BFF's?

Cuz

CUZ":2bodfwsj said:
Lammie":2bodfwsj said:
CUZ":2bodfwsj said:
Hang in there, Lammie.

Cuz, I learned along time ago that when you find yourself in a hole, it's time to lay the shovel down and stop digging. Maybe you should rest a bit and stop digging in this hole. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

N F - You're probably right. If the wife gets time I may call her in to 'splain it to me. Problem is if whatever I've done is too bad, I might get a thumpin'.

Latest posts