Hydraulics problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
I've got a 2001 231S 40hp Massey Ferguson with front end loader, it has a diverter valve instead of a 2 stage pump, so you can only use FEL or 3 pt hitch but not both at same time. It has always been able to handle having the bush hog lifted on back and still use the FEL, now it won't. If you have the bush hog lifted the FEL won't work and vice versa. I've replaced the seals in the diverter valve, cleaned the oil strainer real well and put in fresh fluid, still same problem. Could it be a weak pump?

Will the 3pt stay up for a good long while if you shut the tractor down? If the lift cylinder is leaking and need constant flow to stay up, I could see how that prevent the loader from operating.

If they both work normally independently I wouldn't suspect the pump. Usually a weak pump will not lift a heavy load at idle, but will at higher RPMs.

Atimm693 said:
Will the 3pt stay up for a good long while if you shut the tractor down? If the lift cylinder is leaking and need constant flow to stay up, I could see how that prevent the loader from operating.

If they both work normally independently I wouldn't suspect the pump. Usually a weak pump will not lift a heavy load at idle, but will at higher RPMs.

I'll check and see how long the 3 pt will stay up with the tractor off. It lifts round bales fine at an idle as long as the bush hog is not on it. And if you have a load on the fel then swap to the 3 point hitch it will not lift whats on the 3 pt hitch, in other words it will only handle one load at a time.

Doesn't the diverter valve shut off the hydraulics to the 3pl when diverted to the fel. Meaning the only way the 3pl can drop is through leaking seals in valve or cylinder. If you have it raised and diverter shut off it should not have any effect on fel working or not. I would say there is oil bipassing through the diverter, must be something a miss with it. You should be able to run a hose from pump to fel valves and then from fel valves to tractor hydraulics so both work but fel has preference over 3pl. It can be tricky to work out but should be able to be done.

Have u changed filters? Sounds dumb but anytime I have issues where there's a filter, filters and fluid are my first try. Should be done anyway and many times cheapest thing to start with

fnfarms1 said:
Have u changed filters? Sounds dumb but anytime I have issues where there's a filter, filters and fluid are my first try. Should be done anyway and many times cheapest thing to start with

It doesn't have what I would call a filter, it has a suction oil strainer in the rear end. I cleaned the oil strainer and put in fresh fluid yesterday, no change.

Mines kubota with 2 spin on canister filters. I figured most all tractors had some type of filter more than just a strainer

Latest posts