Hydraulic vs Electric jack for trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I'm going to have to get one or the other for my horse trailer. My trailer doesn't have a 12 volt battery on it, it'd be nice if it did. I'm thinking I had better come off of the plug on the back of my truck to run either. Which one is going to give me better service?

Your trailer doesn't have brakes, that require a breakaway switch, which in turn need a battery to run? What size a trailer? And why bother with the fancy jacks? If its a hydraulic jack like a bottle jack I think it would last better than electric crap, but if it's going to need a hydraulic motor, then I think they're going to be about the same

Nesikep":2kemagxg said:
Your trailer doesn't have brakes, that require a breakaway switch, which in turn need a battery to run? What size a trailer? And why bother with the fancy jacks? If its a hydraulic jack like a bottle jack I think it would last better than electric crap, but if it's going to need a hydraulic motor, then I think they're going to be about the same

The little battery for the break away safety system would never run what I'm talking about. Plus, I'm not making excuses, because safety is everyone's concern. I doubt that battery has been any good for years.

easy test for that is yanking the breakaway pin and trying to pull the trailer (that's what DOT will do if they feel like checking it). If you have a place to mount an old car battery that doesn't have the juice to turn over a big engine, it may still last a while in the trailer under such light duty, and it would give you more options with the jack. Even a garden tractor batttery.

Can't help but ask why the fancy jack on the trailer (For SWMBO?)

I would go electric- You will have a dedicated Hot post on the 7way plug I think its the red wire and it usually does not have anything hooked to it on stock or GN trailers. It will be a simple connection

Nesikep":dc9ngq0t said:
easy test for that is yanking the breakaway pin and trying to pull the trailer (that's what DOT will do if they feel like checking it). If you have a place to mount an old car battery that doesn't have the juice to turn over a big engine, it may still last a while in the trailer under such light duty, and it would give you more options with the jack. Even a garden tractor batttery.

Can't help but ask why the fancy jack on the trailer (For SWMBO?)

SWMBO :lol:
Yes, she had to jack it up this weekend.

M5farm":rv9fcrdb said:
I would go electric- You will have a dedicated Hot post on the 7way plug I think its the red wire and it usually does not have anything hooked to it on stock or GN trailers. It will be a simple connection

Thanks. I wanted my previous horse trailer to charge, while going down the road. A friend of mine said, I didn't have the wire needed to do that. He wanted to run one under the floor mat, it seemed kinda junkey. My truck is an 07 Chevrolet. I'd think it had what I needed on the plug.

images

I was wrong on the color according to this diagram but the center plug/pin in the aux which should be hot as well as blade 4

Latest posts