Hydraulic Driven Generator?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been around one very briefly and never personally used it. It was actually a welder/generator mounted in a service truck. They had to mount a very big pto pump to run it. The thing to keep in mind with hydraulics is it's not a mechanical connection so there's always slip and heat - which is loss of efficiency. Not a great quality for a generator. My question is why would you want a hydraulic generator, what's the application?

I've got a couple trucks with bale beds that have engine driven hydraulic pumps. I thought it would be nice to have a small hydraulic driven generator rather than a gas one. I'm curious about them for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm not sure how they would make steady power but apparently they do.

I've got a couple trucks with bale beds that have engine driven hydraulic pumps. I thought it would be nice to have a small hydraulic driven generator rather than a gas one. I'm curious about them for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm not sure how they would make steady power but apparently they do.
Got you. Guess it may be worth it if the pump you already have will run. It and it isn't too expensive to buy and install one.

I'm thinking that the small pump for your bed would be woefully inadequate for powering a generator of even moderate size. You would need to compare specs of the generator and your pump to be sure. Your pump probably makes plenty of pressure but is lacking flow.

There is also the fact that the truck's system probably doesn't have the cooling capacity to run continuously for very long.

If you like the idea of mobile AC power, a big inverter and an extra battery is a little better option, but will also be somewhat limited.

Latest posts