Hurricane Matthew , NC

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
we just weathered a 20 inch rain event here in eastern NC ,went with no power for 3 days , Half of the roads in my county were at one time closed , flooded or washed out, impossible to travel, The entire county was without power, It aint over, lots of places still flooded , and dozens of roads and bridges gone .This event covered half of the state , This was a storm of biblical proportions. Over 1000 roof top rescues , 35 killed some still missing , lots of places the water was over 10 feet deep for miles in residential areas, I have worked day and nite tending to generators on several hog and Turkey farms I own, and tending to nearly 150 head of registered brood cows during this mess, I got my power back tonight. please pray for eastern NC , there are thousands of familys that have lost everything . This storm was alot worse than anyone could ever imagine, I am 50 years old and never in my life seen anything even close to the flooding we have here in this region, It truly was a natural disaster and still unfolding.

Sorry to hear about the destruction up there. I figured it was bad up there because I saw a steady stream of helicopters heading that way today.

I feel for you and feared where it was headed wouldn't be as well prepared for a hurricane. It is a wake up call for sure as we went months without power in the area after Rita.
You really need to be careful in the cleanup as well as it claims lives as well.
My prayers for y'all

I am out of the woods here I think , but im sure with 34 flooded counties , this will go on for months , Im sure there is lots of round bales washed away, pastures destroyed, missing cattle, and things I cant even think of yet, 70 roads washed out in my county alone , Lots of folks cant even leave thier neighborhood. 60 miles of I 95 is closed due to flood water and one place the interstate is washed away. Dams keep busting, the Lumber river Levee is breeched , flooding half of the city of Lumberton NC , I will update again soon, thanks for the prayers

Sending lots of good thoughts your way polledbull (and anyone else affected by this hurricane). Sounds like a lot of destruction.

polledbull":473m7dsk said:
I am out of the woods here I think , but im sure with 34 flooded counties , this will go on for months , Im sure there is lots of round bales washed away, pastures destroyed, missing cattle, and things I cant even think of yet, 70 roads washed out in my county alone , Lots of folks cant even leave thier neighborhood. 60 miles of I 95 is closed due to flood water and one place the interstate is washed away. Dams keep busting, the Lumber river Levee is breeched , flooding half of the city of Lumberton NC , I will update again soon, thanks for the prayers
There is always someone every year wishing for a hurricane so they can get some rain inland. If person ever lives through the death and destruction of one or seen it first hand never again would they wish for one.
Lost my FIL in Carla and cousin in Rita
Be careful it is as dangerous after the storm as well rescue and cleanup both claim more lives.

Caustic Burno":25zvvwyx said:
polledbull":25zvvwyx said:
There is always someone every year wishing for a hurricane so they can get some rain inland. If person ever lives through the death and destruction of one or seen it first hand never again would they wish for one.
Lost my FIL in Carla and cousin in Rita
Be careful it is as dangerous after the storm as well rescue and cleanup both claim more lives.

My father-in-law said bring it on, my mother-in-law was here in Georgia with us. Needless to say he's from up north and the hurricane sparred him by staying offshore.

Caught the tail end of it - 6 inches here and some strong wind. Some had problems with flooding, but I live on a hill.