Hurricane damage

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I went with my husband to Lake Charles this week to do a mobile home inspection. Thought we would take the scenic route going back up the LA/TX coast and visit his son in Lake Jackson for his birthday. Man! I can't believe the damage from Katrina and/or Rita still in the area. We saw houses in the canals, many, many houses that had yet to be rebuilt. We saw huge trees that had been snapped like matchsticks. I can't imagine what it was like right after the storms if it still looks like this 18+ months later. We both came away from the drive with an incredible amount of respect for the people of that area, who haven't been getting all the TV coverage or sympathy from people. My heart just goes out to everyone who chooes to stay.

To anyone who lives around Cameron Parish, or anyone out in the country that suffered from the storms, I want to extend my admiration for staying on the land. You are what makes America great.

Lammie":3o7huui0 said:
I went with my husband to Lake Charles this week to do a mobile home inspection. Thought we would take the scenic route going back up the LA/TX coast and visit his son in Lake Jackson for his birthday. Man! I can't believe the damage from Katrina and/or Rita still in the area. We saw houses in the canals, many, many houses that had yet to be rebuilt. We saw huge trees that had been snapped like matchsticks. I can't imagine what it was like right after the storms if it still looks like this 18+ months later. We both came away from the drive with an incredible amount of respect for the people of that area, who haven't been getting all the TV coverage or sympathy from people. My heart just goes out to everyone who chooes to stay.

To anyone who lives around Cameron Parish, or anyone out in the country that suffered from the storms, I want to extend my admiration for staying on the land. You are what makes America great.

Rita was a blast 127 mile an hour winds here the eye of the storm went over the house. Had round bales stacked three deep and high all the way around. Thats what bugs me when I here people in the upper states wishing for a hurricane for rain. They are wishing death and destruction on Americans.
All areas of the country has diasaters to deal with I just don't wish them on you.
Wasn't too bad here 40,000 in damage no electricity for months other than the generator, not a fence left standing on the place.

The damage you saw was from Rita. It devastated Cameron parish. You sound like you went through Creole,Cameron, Holly Beach, and Johnson Bayou.

These are some pictures after Rita.
IMG019_0001.jpg

IMG020_0001.jpg

IMG010.JPG

IMG009.JPG

Tragic...absolutely tragic. My heart goes out...

Alice

Caustic Burno":1pqwqqsa said:
Thats what bugs me when I here people in the upper states wishing for a hurricane for rain. They are wishing death and destruction on Americans.

Caustic, I have to say I was a bit guilty of what you are speaking. It wasn't so much we were wishing destruction on our fellow Texans, but rather wishing for a break in the weather patterns. Sort of like when we get hit with a cold front and it brings rains.

We were in the worst drought this county has ever seen. You probably saw the news reports of neighborhoods going up in smoke. Anyway, they had forcasted it in their tracking systems originally to come right through the middle of us. We thought we were finally getting a break in the weather pattern. Unforturneately, we went 4 more months with little to no rain. And unfortuneate as well, we had family members, both near and distant family, and good friends in your area suffer from the storms nevertheless. We weren't truly "wishing" destruction, but if a weather pattern was going to change, we were hoping it would be ours - and it wasn't.

The strange thing was there were areas 100 miles north of here who got 12 inches of rain one day and the Brazos was flooded up, with wildfires burning all around it. We had friends and family lose everything to fire. Fences, homes, barns, trees, cattle, vehicles, tractors and equipment, all went up in smoke. They had absolutely nothing left but scortched dirt. '05 was a really bad year all the way around.

I was born in Port Arthur. I have much family in the golden triangle proximity.

Fred":8xu6xe0e said:
The damage you saw was from Rita. It devastated Cameron parish. You sound like you went through Creole,Cameron, Holly Beach, and Johnson Bayou.

That is exactly where we went through. I still can't believe it. My heart really goes out.

I FEEL YOU PAIN!
WALKED IN THE EYE OF TWO HURRICANES IN LESS THAN TEN DAYS AND A CLOSE HIT AFTER THAT. STILL FIXING FENCES,
FIXED FENCES AFTER FRANCES THEN CAME JEAN WHICH TORE UP WHAT I FIXED, THEN WILMA FINISHED UM OFF AGAIN, AND DAMM THEESE BRAZILIAN PEPPER TREES. IT BE NICE TO PAY SOME ATTENTION TO MY COWS. GEEZ

Latest posts