Hurleyjd

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
You ask "Caustic needs to come on board and tell us why we need all the different grades of oil to operate a refinery. Not making a joke here but would like to know from someone that has been there."

Hurley oil doesn't look like the movies. It comes in from water white to the consistency of peanut butter.
Heavy crudes have more impurities as sulfur, organic nitrogen and metals versus light crudes.
The heavy crudes require a much more complex refinery to run that are more costly to build and operate over simple single train sweet crude refineries.
Refineries like Marathon GBR , Shell Deer Park and Chevron Pascagoula have resid hydro treaters. These units convert resid virtually asphalt into everything from natural gas to diesel fuels.
Amoco built one in the 80's and it cost several billion then.
The complex refinery I worked in took low grade crude and made high value fuels while fluffing the barrel.
We charged 450 MBPD and made 520 MBPD product.
Fluffing the barrel would require wading off into the organic chemistry weeds.

Simple answer is no single refinery can run all grades of crude and convert to fuel.

Hurley a complex refinery is also removing a lot of sulfur.
A mind boggling amount of sulfur.
The refinery I worked in routinely converted H2S gas into 200 long tons a day to liquid sulfur. I have no clue as why long tons was chosen as a unit of measurement.
This is a complex process of the sulfur molecule is removed from the hydrocarbon and replaced with a hydrogen, two hydrogen molecules are attached to the sulfur making h2s. Then the h2s gas is removed from the hydrocarbon stream and sent to a sulfur recovery unit. The SRU I worked ran nearly a million cubic feet of h2s an hour converting to sulfur.
This all has to be done to create low sulfur fuels.
Again mind boggling numbers we needed 200 million cubic feet an of hydrogen a hour to perform the chemical reactions of converting sulfur and catalytic reactions to make fuels.
A lot of this technology today is WWII pioneered by Eugene Houdry.

Hurley if I was still working I would take you on a tour from the docks to the colonial pipeline.

Oil can be differ from zone to zone and even well to well.

There are extremely light condensates that act like propane. Under pressure it's a liquid but as you take the pressure away and it flashes off and becomes a gas. Its extremely dangerous.

We had some shallow oil wells that produced the text book, beautiful, emerald green oil.

I had a field in the Pleasanton/ Jourdanton area that produced extremely black, heavy oil. It was basically just like paint and if it got cold, it was borderline tar. You could put it in a bucket a paint a wall with it no problem.

With light condensates they could haul about 178 bbls a load. With the heavy oil they could only haul 165ish to stay under weight for dot.

That heavy oil brought more money than the condensate.

Oil can be differ from zone to zone and even well to well.

There are extremely light condensates that act like propane. Under pressure it's a liquid but as you take the pressure away and it flashes off and becomes a gas. Its extremely dangerous.

We had some shallow oil wells that produced the text book, beautiful, emerald green oil.

I had a field in the Pleasanton/ Jourdanton area that produced extremely black, heavy oil. It was basically just like paint and if it got cold, it was borderline tar. You could put it in a bucket a paint a wall with it no problem.

With light condensates they could haul about 178 bbls a load. With the heavy oil they could only haul 165ish to stay under weight for dot.

That heavy oil brought more money than the condensate.
There was a lot of oil produced in this area from the sub-clarksville. One company here in East Texas bought and sold a lot of the oil here. Last time I was around the East Texas Crude Company they had several acres of truck tanker rigs parked and I have been by several times in the last two years and the last time about 6 months they were still parked. My understanding that the fracked gas wells have a very short production span.

There was a lot of oil produced in this area from the sub-clarksville. One company here in East Texas bought and sold a lot of the oil here. Last time I was around the East Texas Crude Company they had several acres of truck tanker rigs parked and I have been by several times in the last two years and the last time about 6 months they were still parked. My understanding that the fracked gas wells have a very short production span.
I have some royalty acres from what I seen an East Texas well produce 50% in the first year and the other 50% declining over the next 9 years.

I'm not sure about that zone specifically but I can tell you about fracking in general. Basically, rather than sticking one straw in the milkshake, you are sticking 10 straws. You can drink the milkshake 10 times faster, but ultimately, you are still limited by what is in the cup.

With the Eagle Ford, I think it was like a 80% decline in the 6 months. The large flush of oil right off the bat makes the decline look bad but when you look at total bbls produced, it's still normal. Rather than getting x amount of barrels in 10 years, they are getting the same amount in 5.

That's a very simplistic, perfect scenario, explanation. 😁

I'm not sure about that zone specifically but I can tell you about fracking in general. Basically, rather than sticking one straw in the milkshake, you are sticking 10 straws. You can drink the milkshake 10 times faster, but ultimately, you are still limited by what is in the cup.

With the Eagle Ford, I think it was like a 80% decline in the 6 months. The large flush of oil right off the bat makes the decline look bad but when you look at total bbls produced, it's still normal. Rather than getting x amount of barrels in 10 years, they are getting the same amount in 5.

That's a very simplistic, perfect scenario, explanation. 😁
My wife worked for Hess at Coke Texas. She was in the office. Every man included young high school boys that worked in the field and exposed to the oil and chemicals died with some form of cancer, blood, brain and stomach cancer. Some were old and some were very young. At a farm I own a company put a gathering station for gas across the fence the fumes from it killed every tree along the fence row. Also cows had some cancer. There were several oil wells on the place from years ago. Makes you wonder when we are using and abusing farm chemicals every where. May end up killing all of us. I still own the place but I am planning to sell

My wife worked for Hess at Coke Texas. She was in the office. Every man included young high school boys that worked in the field and exposed to the oil and chemicals died with some form of cancer, blood, brain and stomach cancer. Some were old and some were very young. At a farm I own a company put a gathering station for gas across the fence the fumes from it killed every tree along the fence row. Also cows had some cancer. There were several oil wells on the place from years ago. Makes you wonder when we are using and abusing farm chemicals every where. May end up killing all of us. I still own the place but I am planning to sell
I remember your wife from many years ago, I used to cold call on them when I just started my business. She was always very nice

That's not the norm or my bunch from the refineries would be ate up. The bad actor is benzene in the oil along with heavy metals. Benzene was bad for blood disorders. If its a crude that was produced using PVC that is almost certainly cancer without proper ppe.
Problem with that most of the cleaning solvents of the day were benzene.
They didn't start testing our blood until the 80's . PVC was real bad. PVC is not natural occurring and man made.

Non-extractable chlorides do not occur naturally in crude oil. Crude oils can become contaminated with non-extractable chlorides in a number of ways:

"· From chemicals used in enhanced oil recovery processes
· From chlorinated solvents used in crude oil production, transportation and storage (through use of these solvents for down hole paraffin control is no longer permitted)
· From chlorinated additives used in production, transportation and storage (possibilities include wax crystal modifiers, biocides, corrosion inhibitors, flocculation additives, emulsion breakers)
· From unmonitored disposal of various chlorinated compounds into crude oil storage tanks, pipelines, or refinery slop systems
· From leaded gasoline
· Asphaltene-chloride salts
· Oil-coated inorganic salt crystals"

I sure hate to hear that. There is some bad stuff that comes out of the ground. Sadly, safety was not always at the top of the list in any industry in years past.

Latest posts