HUNTING SEASON's GETTIN CLOSE

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
buerger_4.jpg

TXBobcat":hgif2wu0 said:
Yep, I can taste those dove already!

Me too,I have an ole model 12 that needs shooting,nothing like sitting in a dove field,or around a tank when the birds are flying ;-) .............good luck

Only 21 days left. I can hardly wait. And only a little over 3 months before pheasant season opens in Texas and I really can't wait for that.

Travis Bryan

Herefordcross":3379xcx3 said:
Instead of hunting, I will be chasing people off of our property.

I used to have the same problem - I do not know your situation, but here is how wife and I solved our's.

A fellow about 55 years of age or so showed up one day in the driveway while I was doing my favourite (not) job of greasing a fairly major piece of equipment. He introduced himself and asked about permission to hunt. Just him and his son - aged about 23 at the time.

My response was a non-commital grunt as I was busy. This was a new piece of equipment so I had the "book" out while I was looking for the grease fittings and it was getting dirty.

If my memory serves me correctly - and it is a bit fuzzy at times - he grabbed the book and started calling out the fitting positions to me. I figure we were there for about 40 minutes or so. Wife hollers out and asks if me and the visitor wanted some lunch and a coffee.

Sat on the truck tailgate and chatted for a bit. Eventually I told this guy JUST HIM AND HIS SON - we will try it for a bit. See how it goes. NO ONE ELSE!!!!!

Since that day those two fellows have hunted here and become my "watchdogs". Every now and then he brings his Dad - a gent in his 70's - but always asks first - I never say no - but the point is he asks.

They sometimes bring their wives - non hunters but incredible photographers. They have purchased their local hunt club liability insurance. They also (with permission) developed a small picknik area that they use in hunting season to cook and eat their meals - my family uses it as well - especially in the off season when my kids have friends over for a bit of a camp out.

It took a few years to find these guys, and eventually they moved in just down the road and became neighbours.

I do not worry about "what happens out back". They do all the work and keep all the unwanteds away. Most times I do not even know they are hunting until one of them drops by to give me a steak or two.

Life has been good and someday I suppose the older gent will stop hunting - the Dad will quit as well - and someday if I live long enough the son will bring his kid along.

While at times it appears there are real probs with those who chase the big buck or whatever, there are some good ones out there - if and when you find them, make them YOUR watchdogs.

Maybe we are just lucky, but to a certain extent we make our own luck. It has worked well for us and it just might work for you as well.

Regards,

Bez?

Bez, That is an awesome situation you have put yourself in. Thanks for sharing the details. It sounds like the hunters are respectful, appreciative, and just plain good folks. A win win situation. It is too bad we don't get into more of these outcomes.

backhoeboogie":k85zdjvo said:
Bez, That is an awesome situation you have put yourself in. Thanks for sharing the details. It sounds like the hunters are respectful, appreciative, and just plain good folks. A win win situation. It is too bad we don't get into more of these outcomes.

Well, I have to admit I was completely turned off of hunters - until I met Marcel. We went through pure heck for a few years - and I got a rep as a real bad @ss with a lot of hunters.

Marcel and his boy - actually young man now - own 50 acres that borders us now - so they have quite a chunk of land that they control. I could not afford it when it came up - too bad I suppose - but I have decent neighbours - even though Marcel does not live on the property. Those folks now have the same concerns as I do - that helps a lot.

I also have some serious piece of mind.

It was not always a bed of roses. Some of those hunters did some serious damage. On the other hand if we do not talk to them and work with them - we pass up the good ones - who can be of value in the long run. We simply kept sorting through all those who came up the driveway.

We used get at least 75 - 100 folks a year looking to hunt here. Now I just hang a sign on the gate that says we are booked for the entire hunting season - and we are :D - so it is rare to get anyone driving up our real long and narrow lane.

Hunters - I am one. They Peeese me off lots - but there are lots of good ones - just have to find them.

Regards,

Bez?

Hunting in Texas is big buisness,and can be a good situation for hunters and ranchers,as they pump alot of dollars into local economies.
I have had the same hunters for years now,just gotta keep sortin em till you get some good ones,I believe without the money hunters put into local economies it would be alot harder to weather these droughts we seem to be having a run on..............good luck
PS The picture I posted was something I found on Kawasakai's home page,I was looking at the two seat model mule that is now availible.

Latest posts