Hows the hot weather going in the US?

Help Support CattleToday:

It's getting pretty dry here in Middle Tennessee. Grass is failing already. Rain is just spotty here. No significant amount in a couple of weeks. May have a shower or two this weekend according to the weatherman.

Every other week we get teased with a 20% chance of thunderstorms. So far, nothing. The largest tank on the property is almost completely dried up. The cost of hay is going thru the roof. On small square bale costs more than a 50# bag of calf starter grower. Large round bales are going for $90 to $120 each.

I was on my way to another town north of us the other day and I noticed evidence of a grass fire that was fortunately contained before it reached a house and barn.

I looked at the forecast for the week and saw that we can expect more 100+ degree days. It's getting really grim here.

Alice

The hottest days were last weekend, when the temperature reached 35 C on Saturday and 34 C on Sunday. It's been in the high 20's since Monday, but Edmonton's been getting some rain here and there with the late-day thundershowers. Got 6/10" at home (Barrhead) on Tuesday. And it rained in the middle of the night last night too.

It's still quite dry north of us, with a few forest fires burning up north around Lesser Slave Lake and west to High Prairie (don't quote me on this though).

Forecast says it's suppost to cool down to 20ish starting tomorrow to the weekend, with showers.

For folks down in the US on here, you should maybe look north across the boarder for hay, if you need it.

IluvABbeef":2qzhzfa3 said:
For folks down in the US on here, you should maybe look north across the boarder for hay, if you need it.

How much hassle is involved with dragging a rig across the border and back ?
With fuel over $3/gallon the hay would have to be almost free to make the trip worth it. I think you can only haul about 800 square bales in a box trailer - I'm sure I'll be corrected on that statistic.

my nieghbour is a hay dealer and hauls hay to the states all the time mostly dairy quality there are a few people in manitoba canada who only grow hay for sale I havent seen small square bales going across the boarder for years ---mostly big square ones (800 pounds)

Very hot here, at least compared to what we're used to. Mid to upper 90's with very high humidity. Was real dry but have had 5 inches of rain in the last two days.

It has been a balancing act here for a couple of months now, we get pushed right to the edge then, a few showers, to the edge then a few showers, what reseeding we did this spring is dead and gone and the price of seed it'll be a while before we seed those spots again. What's sad about it is that due to the housing slowing down the developers have hundreds of acres bought up and they won't lease/rent any out to the guys that are hurting for grass.

Well Right now it's raining... yesterday it was raining... and i'm sure tomorrow will be raining... our pasture is flooded soon the cows will have theie life jackets and inertubes on. lol What can i say it florida. it's pooring every where and the whole state is green according to the natonal weather station just like every year. And when its not raining it hot and humid.

High 90's to low hundred's - the high, as far as I know, was 107. Thank the Lord, we usually don't have humidity! I heard on the news today that there are 141 dead from heat related incidences in California. :(

Raining here currently. Looks like our dry season was broke, a little too late for the crops but I'm still grateful. Heat wise...runs from the 70's all the way to 100. Supposed to be the latter tomorrow which is not impressive since I work a double shift, 2nd and than 3rd. Oh well...I shall survive. :)

Latest posts