how young can...

Help Support CattleToday:

lilcowgirl

Reaction score
a calf be for you to tell how good they will/might look later on? I know that they can change, but when do you think that you get the best idea of how they are going to look later?

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I am best at picking babies. I can usually tell within two weeks of birth what kind of Show Calf they should become. Around 6 -8 months is when I sometimes doubt myself. Even a calf in which I have placed very high expectations can really go through a goofy stage at this age.

In my opinion, a huge difference can develop in a calf due to how they are fed and fit. Just watch some of the top selling calves at the major Club Calf Sales, Buck, Exposure, Showgirls, Cody, etc. If those calves end up in the hands of "non-proffesional" feeders, Sale Day is the best they will ever be. Many don't even resemble Show Calves within a couple of months of improper care. I want to make it clear that I'm not referring to abuse. I'm merely hoping to make a point that you shouldn't always blame it on the calf.

With me i look at the older calves about 6-8 months of age. i'm not that great with picking babys to a certain point of age. if i do pick from babys there always the older ones.

Boy, isn't that the truth AAOK! A lot of breeders get very frustrated with that. It's hard to sell a really good heifer and see it at it's first show and realize no one has been taking proper care of it.

A long time hereford breeder once told be that he picks his show bulls at 2 months, because at that age they look more or less like they will look at two years of age. Although this is a reasonable fair indication I have been more accurate at weaning, especially for picking possible herdbulls.

Saying that at times I could not belief my own eyes to see how much an ordinary calf has changed between 12-14 months, especially if the dam wasn't the best milker and grazing conditions improved

Texas26steerjock":23m5aksz said:
depends how good of an eye you have. i have a wave on wave heifer thats 3 weeks old that will be a great one!!!!
for a feeder heifer I bet. Surely not a brood cow. :roll:

Latest posts