How young can heifers come into heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
We are trying to figure out an age of a cow that had a calf. She was supposed to be about 5-6 months old at purchase. That would make her having a calf at 12-13 months old because we had her seven months and she gave birth. Either these heifers were small for age or she was bred at 3- 4 months!!! Please give your advice or comments on this. Thanks. I am starting to think you should have to go to school before buying cows! GOOD GRIEF!

NewCowboy":2bdlp326 said:
We are trying to figure out an age of a cow that had a calf. She was supposed to be about 5-6 months old at purchase. That would make her having a calf at 12-13 months old because we had her seven months and she gave birth. Either these heifers were small for age or she was bred at 3- 4 months!!! Please give your advice or comments on this. Thanks. I am starting to think you should have to go to school before buying cows! GOOD GRIEF!

Although it's obviously not desirable, it is possible for a heifer to be bred at that age. We had two calve spring of 2004 as yearlings. Just like some bulls mature early, so do some heifers.

Makes me feel dumb for saying the whole time before we turned them out "Wow, that one sure is fat, she is gaining weight fast.....". It NEVER occurred to any of us that she might actually be pregnant!!!!! :shock:

NewCowboy":1z71out5 said:
Makes me feel dumb for saying the whole time before we turned them out "Wow, that one sure is fat, she is gaining weight fast.....". It NEVER occurred to any of us that she might actually be pregnant!!!!! :shock:

Don't feel dumb. You're not the first and you certainly won't be the last to miss something like this. It's not something that is common enough to cause a person to think 'Oh, that heifer is bred'. As far as school goes, yes they can teach management, diseases, illness, breeding, etc., but there are far too many variables in this business for all of them to be covered. This heifer has given you valuable experience and you will be wiser should it happen again.

It ain't really age it's more size and maturity, 3-4 months is still a little early but possible I suppose. If I were guessing I'd say they were a "little" older than you thought when you purchased.

Those piggy weanling's hiefers have helped to put two of my kids through collage.They are labor intensive tho and not for the faint of heart or inexperieced. Its nice to get a live calf but if not, then the heifer will go on to the feed yard.It's bad when you lose the whole deal.But that is the gamble.

Years ago had some young calves (steers, heifers and one six mo. old bull) with main herd. Brought some heifers to house to wean as keepers. Months later noticed one of these had started bagging up. Not happy w/this I callled vet & asked him to stop by and give her a look. The very next morning the wife told me I didn't need the vet, the heifer was standing on a hill across from house with a calf in tow. That heifer was just over 12 months old. She's 10 now & been spitting them out ever since. We like for ours to calf around 2 yr. old. That was a freak happening here.

fitz

in my experience if they calf before 18 months will almost always be the most fertile in the herd and breed back every year. We have at least 1-2 a year that calve at between 12-15 months. They only one we pulled was from a heifer which had got her head down hill and immobilized herself by almost drowning on her body fluids so she didn't have the energy to throw the calf out. We have a vigorous culling program for calving ease; if they can't have it, they die.

We had a yearlin heifer calve this spring too. I think there's alot of things that go into it, weight, fertility etc. but since she had it and raised it just fine, she gets to stay. Like someone previously said, usually those are the most fertal in the herd.

From what I've read, with the brangus breed anyway, 700 lbs and they usually will start comin in but there's always exceptions to this rule.

they can start cycling at 5 months.if they take calve at 14 months.but most wont cycle till 10 months an calve at 20months.but it can happen.if its reg cattle i like them to calve at 21 to 24 months old.scott

One thing i would do personaly is wean that calf off early.espesialy with cold weather coming on. if she is younger than you thought she wont reach here full growth potentail. and likely be stunted to some degree.

Not all that uncommon to have early bred heifers at the sale barn...we got caught with one last year and also thought that she had developed a hay belly...until she dropped a little bull calf early one morning...calf is still a bit small but is weaning with the rest and eats like a ...well, hungry calf. The mama is on the small side but will be kept until her next calf (march) to see if she takes the one-way ride.

We can attest by experience that heifers can not only come in heat at 4-6 months they can be bred as well. Our first "teenage pregnancy" we noticed because my husband was driving home from work just before dark as she was "walking funny" across the pasture. So in the pouring rain we watched her work and work, finally we herded her into the barn and as she stood outside the barn, surrounded by part of the herd (helped keep her calm) she pushed, I pulled, my husband helped hold her up and the calf piled out on top of me. We stuffed them into the barn and she instantly started doing the mom-thing, talking, licking etc. It wasn't a hard pull, just awkward because the calf was darn near on the ground and not half-way out!

We have had a couple more since, the youngest one was bred at barely 5 months, still on her mom - so far no losses of either calf or cow. The first one was the only one that we assisted, none required any other help and haven't missed a year since. That year they are a little smaller frame-wise and skinnier than their buddies but I haven't seen any problems otherwise. We have been pretty lucky, there are so many things that can go wrong in regular calving, much less when the cow is so much younger the loss of or injury to a good heifer doesn't balance out with another calf. We started pulling our bulls much earlier and weaning a little earlier as well - we may even give the oldest girls an abort shot or preg check them when we Bangs them.

was riding thru the herd with a friend the other day and kept noticing a yearling bull following one of the cows around... but as it turned out, it wasnt the cow he was after. it was her 3-1/2 month old heifer calf.. bred her right there on the spot... arrrrggg.

jt

We had a 6 month old heifer to come in this year. The day we went to take her off mom, the bull was following her around. She didn't like it, and went out into the pond, but that didn't stop him. He tried to mount once, but she put it in high gear.

That is why I like this board. You find out that you are not the only one who has gone through this and the cow was actually ok. Thanks for sharing all of your stories. :cboy:

In a slightly related story, a neighbor, and a pretty sharp guy, was reading that Iowa State was breeding some heifers at 9 months. It interested him and he decided to try and breed a few heifers at that age using AI. He was tickled as heck with the conception rate he got, but was disappointed once the calves came. Although he didn't mention any particular trouble in the heifers having them, he was awfully disappointed with their milking, almost non-existent. He said it was neat to try it, but didn't plan on doing it any more times than once. It was just like a bunch or orphans, he said, except all their mothers claimed them.

Thats where good old fashion judgement should kick in. pushing cattle to produce when there still baby's there self not a good management practice.

I have gotten two different opinions on growth after this happens. Someone told me that it will stunt their growth if they are bred to early, another said it shouldn't. Can you tell me which is usually correct and if any other factors such as supplementing with feed, etc. might have anything to do with cows later growth. :cboy:

Latest posts