how to make more money on 300 acres

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
I would like to hear options. We currently raise cattle on a total of 500. The 300 acre we own and 200 is leased from neighbor. The we have 300 more acres 8 miles gate to gate. So my question is what opportunities am I over looking to generate income. Mostly brush country, very few fields for hay.
I could lease out for deer season and pull in cash there. Any other thoughts? Do day/night hog hunts.
Thoughts?

Do you have infrastructure for a bed and breakfast geared to tourist for overnight stays? Several around here with big farm houses do that.

saltbranch":7qxxxcc7 said:
I would like to hear options. We currently raise cattle on a total of 500. The 300 acre we own and 200 is leased from neighbor. The we have 300 more acres 8 miles gate to gate. So my question is what opportunities am I over looking to generate income. Mostly brush country, very few fields for hay.
I could lease out for deer season and pull in cash there. Any other thoughts? Do day/night hog hunts.
Thoughts?

Depending on the quality of your deer you should be able to get 25 to 50 dollars on a year round lease. So 7500 to 15000. You can also run cattle . Fence off 50 acres or so for deer season pasture. I allow hunting in this pasture. You just have to hunt with the cows.
Trying to to do day lease plus deer season lease will be a huge headache.
Find a good group and lease them the whole place year-round. Believe me.... they'll pay.

RanchMan90":27mie8lg said:
In central tx? Sheep, deer, then cattle in that order. Maybe average $100 profit per acre :2cents:

Sounds like much better money per acre w/ sheep than cow/calf. How would you approach adding sheep to an existing cow/calf operation?

callmefence":1b46thbq said:
saltbranch":1b46thbq said:
Thoughts?

Depending on the quality of your deer you should be able to get 25 to 50 dollars on a year round lease. So 7500 to 15000. You can also run cattle . Fence off 50 acres or so for deer season pasture. I allow hunting in this pasture. You just have to hunt with the cows.
Trying to to do day lease plus deer season lease will be a huge headache.
Find a good group and lease them the whole place year-round. Believe me.... they'll pay.

Yup, that would get my vote as the most profit and least headache.

Stocker Steve":enp8r87s said:
RanchMan90":enp8r87s said:
In central tx? Sheep, deer, then cattle in that order. Maybe average $100 profit per acre :2cents:

Sounds like much better money per acre w/ sheep than cow/calf. How would you approach adding sheep to an existing cow/calf operation?

guard dogs and net wire. good pasture.

i never had a ewe lamb in a barn.. they were lambing outside in 5 degree snow just fine.

Stocker Steve":1qryin36 said:
RanchMan90":1qryin36 said:

Most places in that area already have sheep and goat fencing and a really strong market for them. Parasite problems are also much less in a dry climate. Winery's are also a hot topic there :drink:

Son of Butch":2ebucj7u said:
dieselbeef":2ebucj7u said:
lease it all to someone else and let them deal with it...
Yup and get a job as a dentist... consistently ranks as highest paying job with lowest stress and best hours in the nation.
Or politician. That seems to very rapidly increase ones net worth.

zirlottkim":2u074vmj said:
Son of Butch":2u074vmj said:
dieselbeef":2u074vmj said:
Yup and get a job as a dentist... consistently ranks as highest paying job with lowest stress and best hours in the nation.
Or politician. That seems to very rapidly increase ones net worth.

Yep - Nashville is looking for a mayor and you know they'll pay for your trips to Europe :banana:

Son of Butch":2nfcpu0u said:
dieselbeef":2nfcpu0u said:

Where were you 28 yeas ago when i was trying to figure out what to do with my life? Sure could have used this little tidbit of knowledge back then.

Son of Butch":3vpz17jm said:
dieselbeef":3vpz17jm said:

hand problems and exposure to high levels of mercury.

If the fences are good id turn some sheep out and some Barbado Rams and lease it to a small group of bowhunters. I'm not sure about $50 acre on 300 though.....

bball":3nrmfm76 said:
Son of Butch":3nrmfm76 said:
dieselbeef":3nrmfm76 said:

Where were you 28 yeas ago when i was trying to figure out what to do with my life? Sure could have used this little tidbit of knowledge back then.
Oh yuk....not at any price.Can't imagine a day of looking into various mouths full of rotted out teeth. Can just smell the funk. :yuck: :yuck:

TexasBred":2t0cpfxm said:
bball":2t0cpfxm said:
Son of Butch":2t0cpfxm said:

Oh yuk....not at any price.Can't imagine a day of looking into various mouths full of rotted out teeth. Can just smell the funk. :yuck: :yuck:

:lol2: its not too far off from what i am doing now..except im looking at the other end more than i would prefer :secret:

Latest posts