How to maintain grass

Help Support CattleToday:

south0085

Reaction score
I just got my first two calves (ever) on June 1st. They are doing great and I am learning so much as a new (hobby) cattle farmer. My question is in regards to the grass in the lot they are in. I see that they are eating the grass well. But they leave certain parts of it alone. And it's growing taller and taller than the other parts. Should I periodically bush hog the lot? Should I get rid of certain weeds? Should I overseed? Thank you for any insight.

Ideally you want to get rid of all weeds, not just certain weeds. As CB said, we're grass farmers, and just using cattle to harvest it. Learn as much as you can about the various types of grass and broad leaf plants in your area so you can identify them. I define weed as a undesirable plant. Some grasses can be weeds, and not all broad leaf plants are weeds.

I'm new to this also. Learned that cattle don't like broom grass even though it looks like something a cow would eat. Haven't figured out what to do about this yet :)

pdubdo said:
I'm new to this also. Learned that cattle don't like broom grass even though it looks like something a cow would eat. Haven't figured out what to do about this yet :)

You didnt ask, and I don't like to poke into your business, but I have a few minutes. If it's broomsedge. It's usually an indicator of 1st, Low PH, or 2nd, low Phosphorus. There were so many poultry houses around here years back, phosphorus is rarely the problem. It tends to become present here when the PH gets down to around 4.5 and gets worse from there. At 4, its normally trying to take the field. Cows will eat it for a short period in the summer, but I wouldn't count on it for much nutrition. It is a short lived perennial and the agronomists here claim that once the fertility is corrected the other grasses will out-compete and it will be gone in 3-5 years. I think they have me on the right track, but 3 years looks mighty optimistic on this farm.

Side note. People like Greg Judy claim that the added fertility and organic matter from unrolling hay on broomsedge goes a long ways. I'm going to give that a shot this winter.

If a person were to look at the sheer amount of research papers, articles, and chatter about broomsedge. It seems to be a very real issue from mid-kansas to georgia.

Lbass has hit the nail on the head.....and others good advice.....look for all the info you can on Grass Farming.....I constantly walk my pastures with my head down......looking for variations in "anything" that's different.

Latest posts