How to get a steer to eat?

Help Support CattleToday:

Just how much is he currently eating? Also, exactly what are you feeding him, including anything you might be adding to his feed.

Also, make sure you have the basics covered...plenty of clean fresh water that is easily accessible, feed trough is clean, he is healthy and has no problems with his mouth or teeth.

rk, He gets 1 1/2 gallons in the morning, and about 3 gallons at night. He is heathly, we just bought them a new water tank and filled it withfresh clean water. Everything is really clean.

shorthorn cowgirl":3547hd4k said:
rk, He gets 1 1/2 gallons in the morning, and about 3 gallons at night. He is heathly, we just bought them a new water tank and filled it withfresh clean water. Everything is really clean.

He should have free choice water. Depending on your weather, I'd be expecting him to drink a minimum of 10 gallons/day, and if it's hot, maybe double that.

shorthorn cowgirl":yk8g57sb said:

How much weight would be in a gallon of feed? How much total is he actually eating? I wouldn't expect an 1150 lb Maine to eat anymore than 35lbs of feed in a day, perhaps a few more pounds.

And as milkmaid says, he'd need a fair bit of water. The more water, the more he'll eat.

Rod

Usually when intake is depressed, it is either some type of sickness or, more often, the steer is "burned out" from too high of a starch intake, resulting in a depressed pH in the rumen, killing off the "good" bacteria. I've seen this when folks try to get the corn level too high without enough fiber in the diet. Usually, the droppings are very loose before and during this. I can't be sure if this is true in your case, but if the grain content is much over about 45%, with less than about 15% fiber, it may be. If so, back him off to just hay for about 3 days, then gradually bring him back onto full feed over about
7-10 days. Be careful not to overfeed him.....you want his trough to be clean from the previous feeding when you feed him, without letting him get overly hungry.
Mother nature intended for cattle to be forage/fiber consumers, but we have to use more nutrient/grain dense diets for performance. The trick is use a dense enough diet for good gain, but still maintain a healthy rumen and avoid digestive upsets by having just enough fiber to do so.

DiamondSCattleCo":mc56dlhf said:
shorthorn cowgirl":mc56dlhf said:

How much weight would be in a gallon of feed? How much total is he actually eating?

I wondered the same thing...but where a gallon is a liquid measurement, I assumed she was talking about water...?

Diamond, I'm not sure how much weight is in 1 gallon. We are not sure how much hee actullaly eats. But we are guesing the heifer with him eats it all because she is really fat. We keep a full 100 gallon tank of water in their pin.

milkmaid":3sptw2m6 said:
DiamondSCattleCo":3sptw2m6 said:
shorthorn cowgirl":3sptw2m6 said:

How much weight would be in a gallon of feed? How much total is he actually eating?

I wondered the same thing...but where a gallon is a liquid measurement, I assumed she was talking about water...?

no i'm talking about feed

Latest posts