How to fix a galvanized stock tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

ny_grass

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having determined here (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72042) that my new pump was working, I went out today and saw that I have a leak in my 300 gallon stock tank.

I took some clear silicon and tried to patch it up but it didn't work.

What's the best way to fix it?

Tanks
JR

Where is the leak? Bottom, side, big, small? J B Weld, quick steel, other types of epoxy. Put a bolt an nut through it. If it is a hole if you don't move it an the leek is in the bottom put sack-cret in it. Is it some where you could braze it? Just burn the galv. off with the wind blowing away from you. Lots of ways to do it.

I forgot about the old grain bin bolt trick. I bet i've done that fix a dozen times. Drill the leak out to the size of your grain bin bolt and with the gasket on it it will provide a seal. I have also taken a bolt with a big fender washer and an old inner tube and patched a hole.

kjonesel":3ngm9ce5 said:
I forgot about the old grain bin bolt trick. I bet i've done that fix a dozen times. Drill the leak out to the size of your grain bin bolt and with the gasket on it it will provide a seal. I have also taken a bolt with a big fender washer and an old inner tube and patched a hole.
With water tanks you don't even need a seal, the rust will make one for you. Two flat washers will help. Had quite a few tanks that had to be drained an didn't have a drain plug so just blew a hole with a torch then when ready to set up again just put a 3/8" or 1/2" bolt in it with a flat on each side.

novatech":38d88lul said:
If it is in the seam at the bottom I have used gutter sealant. Trick is it has to be real clean.
Yeah, it's at the bottom where it joins the side.

Put some plastic over the leak. Then pile dirt on it.

Dirt keeps the plastic in place. Have one going on 20 yr like that.

For small pin-holes in the bottom of the tank, I have HEARD ;-) you can use aluminum roof sealant, like on mobile home roofs. But I have never tried that. I am going to try the plastic in the bottom with dirt piled on top ... that's a great idea!

ive used bondo glass """small fibered body filler"" on em lasted several years... till rots out around it.. i stopped a leak in well tank with it dont know how many years that lasted

Bondo works well ,it also works well patching auger troughs in combines.bonds a new layer of tin to old trough. Kept several combines running over the years by using bondo to glue a new tin layer to what ever.
I have even used bondo to hold unistrut to a waste water tank to mount electrical gear.

I have a whole pile of them you are welcome to. Only thing holding the sides together is rust and the bottoms.... well I don't exactly know what happened to them.

get the JB weld stick you mix with your fingers and put over the hole. mine is holding for several years now :cboy: . i don't get leaks till i drain them and it seems to get holes in bottom so i JB weld it and let it set fill up and go :banana: .

Hi all,

Having determined here (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72042) that my new pump was working, I went out today and saw that I have a leak in my 300 gallon stock tank.

Tanks
JR
I sanded the spot really well then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol a couple times
Hi all,

Tanks
JR

and then used JB WATER WELD! I use my stock tank as a swimming pool it has a pool pump hooked up on it and grandkids have had a lot of fun in it, and it's held up so far for 10 summers!

Latest posts