How to feed only cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

makemfat

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone has had this problem at one time or another....but has anyone ever truly solved it? Has anyone designed a feeder that cows can eat out of, but horses can't? I've only had horses on the place a couple years, so I don't have the experience with them that I do cows. During this time, I've always had supplement in a "twister" type feeder for the cows. Unfortunately, the horses developed a taste for it. They don't need this stuff. So, the past couple years, I had a small field that I had a fly rub up across the gateway. This worked fine. Had it low enough that the cows could go under, but the horses wouldn't. Now, the 23 year old mare has figured out to get down on her knees and crawl under the rub. Then she'll run to the twister and gorge herself on supplement! I don't have enough different pastures that all have water on them to be able to seperate everyone! (3 fields,2 ponds) In the mean time, I'm just adding the supplement to the regular feedings, but this doesn't give them the dosage the got when they had access all the time. Darned horse is too smart for her own good....or mine! Her previous location, this horse used to turn on the lights in the barn at night...figured out people would come.....people mean food! I think they broke her of that by just finally not coming, and she finally gave up. Any great ideas?

The only beef animals that need grain are steers being finished out for harvest. And some people are doing that on grass also.
Weaned replacement heifers also should get grain. Other than that, they should be able to do just fine on grass in the summer & hay in the winter.

I prefer not to feed them at all either, but I was wanting to get some supplement into them. In order to get them to get enough in 'em before the horses get it, I've been sweetening the pot with a little bit of grain in on it. I would like nothing more than to get rid of the horses as has been suggested, but they seem to be a package deal....came with the new little woman! She's had them forever, and I'm sure they'll die of old age on our place. I guess my only real solution is to dig another pond in the third pasture....that way the horses can be kept completely seperate. Sounds like if someone invents a feeder that can feed only one or the other, they'll get rich! Thanks for the suggestions!

makem....I enjoy seeing my cattle eat....for me cattle is a hobby but a lot of people do it for profit. If it's a hobby for you then feed the heck out of'em and enjoy it.I certainly do... But I would find a corral ofr something for those horses. Horses don't know when to stop eating.

1982vett":3upjf03u said:
:p get rid of the horses........ :mrgreen:

this is the best idea so far. :eek: also don't feel bad for feeding your cows a little. it seems alot of people like their cows thin. Plus we all don't have endless acres of pasture. :cboy:

Feeding the cattle grain is NOT a problem if he wants to do it. The biggest problem is someday he'll find the horses sick or dead. Horses are pretty stupid when it comes to feed. They will definately eat themselves to death.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":2jhaxp5o said:
1982vett":2jhaxp5o said:
:p get rid of the horses........ :mrgreen:

this is the best idea so far. also don't feel bad for feeding your cows a little. it seems alot of people like their cows thin. Plus we all don't have endless acres of pasture. :cboy:
not a good idea if you got horses and and want to keep em,,, ive got 3 quarter horses that stay in seperate paddock from my cattle.. i dont like running them together,,,some are bad to run cattle and starve cattle from water and shade

alacattleman":1swxxbyk said:
personally Kmac has the best idea, get cattle that can maintain condition on grass and minerals
The should be plentiful and cheap....everybody on here seems to have several pastures full. All they get year round is all the water they can drink and all the air they can inhale.

makemfat":3q9pvri1 said:
I had a small field that I had a fly rub up across the gateway. This worked fine. Had it low enough that the cows could go under, but the horses wouldn't.
If the horses are tall enough try a hot wire that cows can go under but horse can not .Nothing works like a little elec.

All valid points.....but nothing I can currently implement! To get rid of the horses....I would be one woman short! And I really need my gate opener! Not to mention the good cookin'! The low hot wire won't work because the one horse has learned to get down on her knees and crawl under things. Yes, this is as awkward looking as you can imagine! Even the shortest heifer is taller than the horses' crawling height. Was just hoping some genious had invented some special feeder that they were keeping to themselves. Maybe it had a picture of a glue pot behind it or something to scare the horses away! Never hurts to ask! And at the risk of repeating....I don't want to feed grain, either. Just a mineral supplement. Grain costs money I want to keep in my pocket! Thanks, y'all!

makemfat":2b0009qa said:
All valid points.....but nothing I can currently implement! To get rid of the horses....I would be one woman short! And I really need my gate opener! Not to mention the good cookin'! The low hot wire won't work because the one horse has learned to get down on her knees and crawl under things. Yes, this is as awkward looking as you can imagine! Even the shortest heifer is taller than the horses' crawling height. Was just hoping some genious had invented some special feeder that they were keeping to themselves. Maybe it had a picture of a glue pot behind it or something to scare the horses away! Never hurts to ask! And at the risk of repeating....I don't want to feed grain, either. Just a mineral supplement. Grain costs money I want to keep in my pocket! Thanks, y'all!
aint seen a horse yet that didnt repect a hot wire,,i did have a colt that would weezle his way under portable panels..would'nt of believed it if i hadnt caught him

KMacGinley":17wyw6z5 said:
Why are you feeding grain to cows? If you feel you need to... I would get different cows. :)

words of wisdom

Re. Horses. Accidents happen. ;-) People come home and find horses stolen all the time. :help: Console her by giving her one of the calves to spoil. :heart:

3waycross":b4sp0je1 said:
Re. Horses. Accidents happen. ;-) People come home and find horses stolen all the time. :help: Console her by giving her one of the calves to spoil. :heart:

:shock: :lol2:

I don't condone this at all.. ;-) :lol2:

Try the hot wire you will be amazed at how well good it works, the horse will have to experiement with it a little and will for sure get zapped. Once they get zapped they will never go back .

BUT the thing you need to do is move them to a different pasture and get the person who wants the horses to haul water to them everyday. She wants them,,, she gets out there and looks after them .. Horses and cattle together really is not a good idea anyways.

3waycross":3dnkyxjg said:
not around here of late,you'll come home and find you got one extra :cowboy:

TexasBred":zf772hyi said:
alacattleman":zf772hyi said:
personally Kmac has the best idea, get cattle that can maintain condition on grass and minerals
The should be plentiful and cheap....everybody on here seems to have several pastures full. All they get year round is all the water they can drink and all the air they can inhale.
i dont have yet,,,, but im working toward it... :cowboy:

alacattleman":249jd1n8 said:
3waycross":249jd1n8 said:
not around here of late,you'll come home and find you got one extra :cowboy:

It's the same here. Only they are turned out all over the BLM and National Forest. Prople just can't feed them anymore and don't have the heart to put em down so they let them starve to death instead.

Latest posts