How to clip and groom calves???

Help Support CattleToday:

#1- It's not likely that your calf will have as much hair as that bull.

#2- Although there are MANY, MANY help sites on the internet, I've found most helpful for juniors in watching. I'd get into contact with the local 4-H. There are many adults in the program that will be able to help you. The JR Limousin Association has a nice pdf file. I will try to find it and post it here.

Another thing. I don't know if you have a calf, are getting a calf, or just wondering out of curiousity- but it is much eaiser to think about fitting a calf when you've seen one in person.

cowgirlxupx1034":2thr4edt said:
Can any one tell me how to clip and groom calves for shows? Anything would help, like from how to clip the tail right to boning their legs real big to getting their tail head hair like the bull's in the picture.

http://www.lautnerfarms.com/bulls/RHSC.html

. groom the cow really good before you start cliping. also i wash mine before i start cliping .use flats head clippers on the head and go against the hair Leave the hair in the ears! On the neck clip with sheep shears and go down agianst the hair, clip the dewlap and brisket. on the neck you clip from the top of the sholder down to the brisket in a slanted shape. Clip a level line down the back to the tail head and clip the top of the tail head in line with back..go 5 or 6 inches down the tail and clip a lin of about 4 inches then grasp the tail in line with the hocks and cut the hail below that off.. adn that is all i can tell u with out showing you. There are alot of different "tricks" u can do depending on what type of cow you are working on...hope that helped :D

you're gonna need a buttload of hair to do that and a team of expensive fitters. I'm with ilfarmer92. Fit according to the calf.

Latest posts