how much?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
How much hay are you feeding per week now?
1 round bale a week for me at house pasture.. none up on my farm down the road they are on stockpile.

None yet. Once we got some rain in october we just went back to grazing

2 big rolls. 5x6. Ill have to buy more. Well i already go it, just got to pay Mamaw for it and haul it here. Dad thinks that will get us through but im not convinced it will.

skyhightree1":352oym7w said:
hg and m5 do y'all have enough to keep that up till spring?

I checked my crystal ball and it said if its a normal winter yes and if its like last year maybe. I will start grazing oats this weekend so it will cut down on the hay consumption.

Not having to feed the cows yet. Looks like I will make it to Christmas day, and maybe a shade longer on stockpiled grass. Hiefers I'm keeping, are mowing right thru it though.

I just set out my first bale evening before last. It will last a good while I imagine. One eating from it yesterday, although others had hit it apparently or she'd worked her way around the ring. All others picking. If it hadn't been for the little sleet/ice on the grass I wouldn't have set any out at all. This is on a small trap/pasture there at the barn that I had moved the last of the calvers to and they have it picked short. The rest of the herd is still on the spring/summer pasture until I join the bulls, when I turn them south onto the stockpile around the 10-15th of this month.
Plenty of grass here yet (other than that smallest pasture @ ~10-15 acres)

No hay yet for the cows; they're cleaning up stockpiled Bermuda grass I'm keeping a few heifers so they get a 6 foot bale every couple of weeks as needed. Sometimes they really go after the hay ;sometimes, they graze the small trap they're in. I hope to make it to the first of the year before haying the cows. Should make it unless we get a bunch of snow or ice.....like we did this time last year.

Looks like we will feed out 100-125 rolls. Already fed out 37 rolls because of no rain all October
Right now we are at 3 rolls a week. But it's still warm and the rain we had is keeping the grass growing. As soon as it frosts and the rain is gone it's gonna get real pricey real fast.

Sky, I would like to think that we have plenty. But my son sells our best cow hay in FL for horse hay, and the way he's been selling it I'm starting to worry. He's already sold all our low quality hay, and people are still calling wanting more. I refuse to let him gouge people, well except for horse people.

The mature cow group (21 cows and numerous fall calves) go through a bale a day (4x5, about 1000 pounds). The heifer pasture (8 head) go through a bale a week, horses are going through about a bale a week (5 horses). Too much!