how much ??

Help Support CattleToday:

row4wsu

Reaction score
OK -- I have few questions about feed -- we have a smaller operation with b0h dairy and beef --in separate pastures of course -- yeah -- alot of fun to figure out feed :) Currently we are feeding 2 -3 flakes local hay and a flake of alfalfa in the morning with about 4 lbs of grain and at night we are feeding just a flake of alfalfa. We don't have pasture right now -- so this is all they are getting.

OK here goes -- we have ayrshires and milking shorthorns
** for our dairy heifers (will be a year in April) -- any recommendation for change? Is this enough -- should we break the grain ration into 2 parts? They'r looking a little thin -- and i am getting ready to delice them.
** we have one cow on our farm who is due to calf in April (then shes going back to the dairy)-- any suggestions for change?

These are hereford/simm's
** for our beef heifers --
** for our steers -
**for our beef cows?

Also we are getting ready to bring an Angus heifer home who will be a year on Sun -- she was bottled cause mom passed away -- has only gotten hay and weighs around 650 ---

how much should she be getting to catch up?

Thanks for your help.

row4wsu":1y92zy5k said:
OK -- I have few questions about feed -- we have a smaller operation with b0h dairy and beef --in separate pastures of course -- yeah -- alot of fun to figure out feed :) Currently we are feeding 2 -3 flakes local hay and a flake of alfalfa in the morning with about 4 lbs of grain and at night we are feeding just a flake of alfalfa. We don't have pasture right now -- so this is all they are getting.

OK here goes -- we have ayrshires and milking shorthorns
** for our dairy heifers (will be a year in April) -- any recommendation for change? Is this enough -- should we break the grain ration into 2 parts? They'r looking a little thin -- and i am getting ready to delice them.
** we have one cow on our farm who is due to calf in April (then shes going back to the dairy)-- any suggestions for change?

These are hereford/simm's
** for our beef heifers --
** for our steers -
**for our beef cows?

Also we are getting ready to bring an Angus heifer home who will be a year on Sun -- she was bottled cause mom passed away -- has only gotten hay and weighs around 650 ---

how much should she be getting to catch up?

Thanks for your help.
i got some qs for you.1 is the 4lbs of grain your cows getting for the dry cows/beef cows.if so thats enough grain.2 how much feed are you feeding your milking cows in a day.2 is the 3flakes of reg hay an 1 flake alalfa for both dairy/beef cows.if it was me id feed the milk cows 10lbs alalfa a day.3 the new beef heifer id feed 5 to 7lbs of grain a day till she gets breeding age.

whats your pre cow production pre day.in other words how meny pounds of milk is each cow giving a day.

Latest posts