How much $$$$

Help Support CattleToday:

Travis B.

Reaction score
How much money would you guys give for a 6 month old, never been messed with(just petted), unregistered quarterhorse filly. I know they have really good bloodlines, like Gay Bar King, Smart Little Lina, and Peppy San Badger. Her grand and great-grand parents were registered, but then the man quit registering them. These have a lot of cow sense, as one of my buddies has a gelding from him that performs good. I am not sure what he will ask for one so I am asking you guys.

It would depend on how she looked like, her temperament, what her parents had accomplished, how impressed I was with her potential and bloodlines, how long I was willing to wait for her to become productive, how much I wanted her, and how much feed and time I would be willing to put into her in the meantime. I'm not trying to be a smart donkey here, but that is a very large part behind what one will pay. The chances of her 'showing' her lineage are very good, but not foolproof.

Colts are cheap, Last night at the horse sale,colts were bringing from $75 to $200. grade and registerd. You could have bought a GOOD broke horse for $ 400.

Registered colts with that type of breeding that have parents that are proven themselves are worth a lot of money. I've seen those kind go for five figures in a heartbeat.

Unregistered and without winning parents they really aren't worth much. Those bloodlines are most often seen in the cutting pen. Many of them won't mature out at over 8-900 pounds. If you can see the mama and the daddy that will help you make a decision but I'd say $300 max. And then it's going to cost you $2-3000 more before she's ready to go to work.Z

oscar p":1vznxa8c said:
Colts are cheap, Last night at the horse sale,colts were bringing from $75 to $200. grade and registerd. You could have bought a GOOD broke horse for $ 400.

Well...IMO...

For "that" kind of selling price insult, I would donate such a horse to a horse club or similar, take a tax write-off, and get on with my life. I wouldn't be bothered with loading up and hauling a horse to a sale for those prices...JMO

Around here, young horses are cheap- $100 to $400.
Draft horses and standardbreds can be bought for $200 to
$500. ( these are good broke drivers ). However, reg. Zippo
Pine bar horses are very pricey. :oops:

Never ceases to amaze me about what some grade horses are selling for!

Either people are breeding indiscriminately or they are running a "puppy(horse)mill" and selling as soon as they hit the ground. However, there was care and feeding of the mare for 11 months! Or naively running a stallion with their mares year around...??

With the "average" cost of keeping one's horse on their own property, assuming quality vaccinations, health care, feed, hay, water, minerals, farrier, etc., etc., in the vicinity of $1,000 per year...well, anyone can run their own figures.

And...we wonder...why all the controversy over slaughtering for horse meat!! (On a sidebar...when we butcher a Longhorn Bull that weighs 800# or so, we compute that we get about $750 worth of edible freezer beef...)

Oh well...such is life... :roll:

JMO, but ya can't ride the papers!
Some of the best horses I've had were "grade" horses... my registered AQHA mare is afraid of cows and "horse-eating-squirrels", hates to actually move faster than a stumble, (unless it is across the pasture away from me when I want to actually ride her, THEN She's the fastest horse on the place! ) but will do hours of circles in the round pen with a kid on her,which was the whole reason for paying $800 for her.
Tuffernhel, Planned Investment, Show Buck breeding.

Now, my Grade gelding, no idea What breeding,(probably breeding stock paint-came off a truck from South Dakota) got him as a weanling for $200 and an austrailian stock saddle someone had given me way back when, has better conformation, willing attitude, VERY cowy, (Won a team penning jackpot 1st time on cattle,) will do anything I point him at, and a better all around disposition. And... could care less about squirrels.

:) ;-)

Best horse I EVER had was grade..dependable,and for some unfantomable reason liked me and took care of me,even tho he was 18 months when I got him,and all my horse information came from "The Black Stallion"series,"Fury"and My Friend Flica"

One of the most popular breeds is the famous OTIT. Thousands of them work cattle, trail ride, do endurance and are good pleasure horses.
OTIT, Out of Texas In a Trailer.

Latest posts