How Much?

Help Support CattleToday:

Redman

Reaction score
I am buying some 7 week old Holstien and Holstien X Mount Pilliar? bull calves.How much are they worth? They are asking about $190 a head

In my area that would be cheap. Day-olds in my area run $160-200+. Not sure about your area. You seen the calves? anything wrong with them?

TTCLM, I'd just guess that when he used the term "mount pillar" he meant a Montbelaird (dual purpose French breed). At any rate, without knowing any more about them, that sure sounds like a pretty darn good price for 7 week olds.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":jk5d6pb3 said:
I agree sounds like a pretty good price. Im still wondering what a mount pilliar is. LOL Never heard of a Montbelaird either or however you spell it. Is it like a normande french dairy cow or something?

Milking Simmenthal

dun

We are raising them to sell. It is a Montbelairde I just did not know how to spell it. I plan to put them on oats and clover and some supplemental feed. Is cottonseed and sweetfeed mix a good idea?

Thats about the going price around here,as long as they look good, I'd say get em. jp

Redman":2ipos5e2 said:
We are raising them to sell. It is a Montbelairde I just did not know how to spell it. I plan to put them on oats and clover and some supplemental feed. Is cottonseed and sweetfeed mix a good idea?

For a grain mix, I do like a cottonseed and corn/barley and/or sweet feed combination. They grow well and look good on it. Keep in mind that you can't feed much cottonseed, and 7 week old calves shouldn't have much, if any. Has to do with the development -or lack of- the rumen, if I remember right. Older calves that have been weaned for awhile are fine with several pounds per day.

That said, I don't usually feed more than 1-2lbs/hd/day even to the cows, as whole cottonseed has a lot of volume for its weight and my cows don't like a mixture of more than 40-50% cottonseed.

Latest posts