How much wet brewers grain per day?

Help Support CattleToday:

OYcattle

Reaction score
I have been reading this forum for about a year without posting but I have a question that is outside my experience and I figured I might borrow some of yours. Through a friend of a friend I will have access to 6 tons of wet brewers grain a week that I would get for free but have to haul myself. I don't know much about brewers grain and was wondering about how many 500 lb steers this would feed? Just trying to figure out if it makes sense to spend the time and gas money hauling grain each day. Any input would be much appreciated.

Do your cattle really need the supplementation? I know it's free except for hauling but it's a pain to feed if you're not set up for it.

I was wondering if I could use the grain as the main source of feed and supplement with alfalfa. I live in northern Nevada and crops aren't nearly as easy to come by here as other areas. I would be buying steers (or whatever would do best on brewer's grain) and putting them in a pasture with feeder panels and feed bunks already set up. Is it possible to make a ration that is mostly brewers grain and alfalfa?

Have never fed brewers grain but feed a lot of reject silage that is less than dairy quality. Have 16 ft utility trailer with 12 inch side boards that supplier loads the silage onto. Next to pasture have a fenced gravel pad where I park the loaded trailer, let the cattle in and eat the silage free choice. The gravel pad is a necessity because without it they tromp out some awful holes where the trailer is parked even if parked in a different place from time to time. Works pretty well with both cows and stockers. Have hay available for times when silage is scarce.

Unless there are some unknown issues such as high sulfur or other elements in toxic excess, would think you could self feed the brewers grain similar to how I feed the silage along with free choice hay and mineral. Depending on how wet it is would guess a 500 lb steer would eat 25-30 lb/day of the brewers grain and around 5 lb of hay in a free choice situation. Would probably need 60-80 steers to eat 6 tons/wk. Will also need extra hay and supplement for the times when there is not enough bg. A decent plan B is necessary when feeding these type byproduct feeds as it is just waste to your supplier and the consistent availability to you is not a priority to them.

Would simplify things if you only had to pickup the bg 2-3 times/week. If the haul is not too far and pickup not too unpredictable would probably jump on a deal like that myself.

We feed weaned calves all they want. It takes them a while to develop a taste for it. Wet brewers grain is bland in taste. They will eat their fill and walk away. The next day the trough is empty and they come to the gate bawling when they hear the tractor coming.
I was at first concerned because the grain is 30% protein. It has not been an issue for us or our friends who also feed wet brewers grain. They also have grazing or free choice hay.

Feeding it like Texas Pawpaw mentioned would work as long as you have a trailer low enough they can readily eat it. I've fed it to dairy cattle up to 40 lbs. per head per day. Although it contains a lot of spent grain it's actually considered roughage from a nutritional standpoint. You just have to feed a lot to get any amount of dry matter due to the high moisture content and can run well over 25% crude protein on a dry matter basis.

Never fed any 'wet'(65% moisture). Have fed 'modified' (50% moisture) for a number of years, have been feeding 'dry' (12% moisture) the past two years, as it 'penciled out' as the best value.
Currently limit-feeding for ~25#grass hay/cow/day + 5 lb DDG.
Back in 2007, when hay was hard to come by...we were shooting for 10# hay/day and feeding 12-15# modified distiller's grain.

Due to high moisture, you'd have to feed a lot more of the wet - and it won't 'store' for nearly as long as the dry or modified... but the price is right, if you can figure out a good way to feed it. Lugging 5-gallon buckets would get old in a hurry.

Thank you for all the input. I'll be buying some extra alfalfa as a plan B for if/when the inevitable missed shipment occurs. Always nice to have experienced people point out some of the pitfalls before you fall into them.