how much roundup?

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
I read on other posts that you could use round up in low doses in bermuda to get rid of crabgrass and dallis grass. When and how much do I apply and how bad will it set my bermuda back? I just cut the hay off it and fertilized it. and have some small sprouts of bermuda coming back and alot of clumps of crab grass and dallis grass. It is Cheyenne bermuda if that matters.

Don't know anything about dallis grass, but we use 12 ounces an acre to kill vassey grass with no ill effects. However, vassey grass is more cold tolerant than bermuda so I spray after the first killing frost when bermuda is brown but vassey is still green. Am told this rate is ok on growing grass but have never used it in this manner. The rate to KILL bermuda is very high so I doubt you will have any trouble at this rate.

Fertilize it cut and bale it, crabgrass and dallis grass is just as good for hay as bermuda. You are going to get about one more good cutting for hay.

You dont want to use round up on green or growing bermuda grass. It will kill it almost out if you use it while it is in that stage.

But you can use MSMA to get rid of the crab & dallas grasses. Alot of people who grow bermuda grass for horse hay arround here. Will spray their hay meadows with round up right before it starts to geen up in late Spring. The bermuda is still dormant at that time of the year and alot of other grasses have already greened up and started growing like crab & dallas grass.

Then two or three weeks later depending on how well everything is growing. They will spary again with 2-4d or grazon to get rid of the broad leafs like sour dock, butter cups the weedy type plants.

Then you pretty well have your meadow narrowed down to bermuda grass and heartier type grass like crab grass, dallas grass, nut grass etc...., And you then use MSMA which is mostly used for lawns to clean them up and make more of a turff like appearance and in turn a nicer looking lawn.

But again alot of people who produce top quality horse grass here are shooting for pure bermuda. And using the MSMA will get the heartier grasses dallas, crab grass etc.....,

But unless you are able to irrigate your hay meadow or get alot of rain fall. You might be dissipointed with the results. Because it will take along time for the bermuda to cover with out much moisture and if you kill everything off except for the bermuda. You might have a barren looking hay feild and lose out on alot of good grass like dallas and crab grass.

Good luck

Stepper":2qem92wh said:
But you can use MSMA to get rid of the crab & dallas grasses.

According to what I've read, MSMA is not recommended or labeled for use on Bermuda grass if it is going to be grazed or harvested for hay.

I was told by the local farm chemical supplier that MSMA is very high in arsenic and not recommended for pasture. He said that too much will kill whatever grazes it.

DustyH":2xf61x1x said:
I was told by the local farm chemical supplier that MSMA is very high in arsenic and not recommended for pasture. He said that too much will kill whatever grazes it.

Pretty sure the label spells that out pretty clearly.

DustyH, I can't give you a definitive answer on how much it stunts it. Friend of mine works at the federal grazing station and they applied 12 ounces just after cutting. He said it didn't seem to hurt it. Compared to spraying Cadre, which is my only other alternative, Roundup poses little to no problem by comparison.

Latest posts