how much milk replacer

Help Support CattleToday:

ramrod3

Reaction score
Just how much milk replacer should a 3 week old calf get? Also he is eating calf starter plus drinking water. Currently getting 1.5 galons of replacer a day now, half a gallon 3 times a day

ramrod3":1k8l885y said:
Just how much milk replacer should a 3 week old calf get? Also he is eating calf starter plus drinking water. Currently getting 1.5 galons of replacer a day now, half a gallon 3 times a day

What does the bag say? Believe it or not, the people that make the stuff have a pretty good grasp of the proper feeding of the product.

dun

Dun has a really good point, as usual. Secondly, a whole lot has to do with the supplement quality you are using. You can check previous threads for excellent advice of which supplements to use. Some stuff is junk.

When I have bottle fed through the years, I always fed twice a day at precise as possible 12 hour intervals. The calves were given free choice of feed, hay, grass and water continually. Also, each calf from each breed is going to have differing tendencies. It is hard to come up with a hard fast weaning age, but there are some good rules of thumbs out there. I tend to feed on the bottle a bit longer than most. Pay attention to the calves acclimation to feed and hay/grass intake when you determine when its time to wean. If you are keeping the calf for breeding, or sending it to market, will make a difference in what you do.

Keep their pens and water clean.

There is nothing like having a good nurse cow to take care of it for you.

Latest posts