How much meat.....

Help Support CattleToday:

griz

Reaction score
Just took in about 2 weeks ago my two heifers. One was 871 and the other 800 lbs. On the 900lbs, I received back 360lbs of meat and the other 250lbs. Is this correct? It seems a bit low to me. Thoughts?

Griz

griz":1ljq4q5r said:
Just took in about 2 weeks ago my two heifers. One was 871 and the other 800 lbs. On the 900lbs, I received back 360lbs of meat and the other 250lbs. Is this correct? It seems a bit low to me. Thoughts?

Griz

The 360 for a heifer was not that bad. The other was awful. What breeds were they, how long had they been fed, with what type of feed?

In this weight range, it is doubtful that you are going to beat 60% hanging weight. For the heavier calf, that is 522 lbs. hanging. A 30% loss from hanging to package is pretty decent, which leaves you with 365 lbs., and you weren't far from that.

A friend fed out an Angus calf to 1100, and lost 40% from hanging to package because he had so much fat. On the other hand, the steer we butchered a year ago lost only 24% from hanging to package. He was a grandson of LLL Timber, a high-carcass bull in the Hereford breed.

I'm going to guess that the 800 pound heifer was either very fat or very big-boned.

griz":5ilgdpsa said:

Griz

The 360 for a heifer was not that bad. The other was awful. What breeds were they, how long had they been fed, with what type of feed?

In this weight range, it is doubtful that you are going to beat 60% hanging weight. For the heavier calf, that is 522 lbs. hanging. A 30% loss from hanging to package is pretty decent, which leaves you with 365 lbs., and you weren't far from that.

A friend fed out an Angus calf to 1100, and lost 40% from hanging to package because he had so much fat. On the other hand, the steer we butchered a year ago lost only 24% from hanging to package. He was a grandson of LLL Timber, a high-carcass bull in the Hereford breed.

I'm going to guess that the 800 pound heifer was either very fat or very big-boned.

i'm not real sure but i thought you were suppose to get 50% back. even so i think the locker owner is eating your meat or selling it.

williams":2kvqifyh said:
i'm not real sure but i thought you were suppose to get 50% back. even so i think the locker owner is eating your meat or selling it.

That is based on a 1200 pound animal, I believe. You get a higher hanging percentage at above a thousand than below I've been told. My butcher and I were visiting the other day. He said they had a black steer they were cutting up right then, and they had already filled a barrel with fat etc. The people had fed it out to 1600 pounds, which is way over-finished. He said people do this and then can't understand why they don't get more meat back, thinking he is stealing from them. A butcher told me that it was nearly impossible to lose less than 30% from hanging to package. That was before every Hereford or Hereford cross he butchered for me lost 28% or less.

greenwillowherefords":10cd06hc said:
:shock: :oops: :x :cry: I keep coming up with a whitespace error page when I submit, so afraid my post failed I submit again! Sorry.

HOORAY, I'm not the only one with the problem of the error page. Since it just started happening when I refurbed this computer I thought it was something wrong with it.
When I get the error I do a refresh. Most times if the reply I'm trying to post is more then a line or two I'll highlight it and do a ctrl C so that it's available to paste if the message didn't post.

dun

dun":1ktupmzd said:
HOORAY, I'm not the only one with the problem of the error page.

Hooray! I am in the same boat! I have been refreshing the heck out of this thing--I think I might have to get that "PC for Dummies" book as the only CTRL command I know is "Ctrl+Alt+Delete"!!!

fellersbarnoneranch":2u7fzg9h said:
dun":2u7fzg9h said:

Hooray! I am in the same boat! I have been refreshing the heck out of this thing--I think I might have to get that "PC for Dummies" book as the only CTRL command I know is "Ctrl+Alt+Delete"!!!

A while back I asked Macon about the problem. He said that something wasn't set right , I believe it was in the browser settings. Whatever it was I checked and I didn't see a problem. That was a couple of months ago so I don't recall what it was. Hopefully Macon will respond and clear up the mystery for all of us having this particular diffugilty.

dun

We feed out Angus influenced aniamls, and slaughter around 1150 lb or when we feel they are finished. Getting 32% of live weight as BONELESS, LEAN AND LITTLE FAT LEFT ON STEAKS IS a PRETTY GOOD. We figure 90-100 lb of this kind of retail beef product per quarter.

Billy

williams":3ho0lhb4 said:

Everytime a producer doesn't get back as much meat as they think they should, the butcher is accused of keeping some of the meat. In 40 plus years I know of one actual case where that happened. In that case the guy was also going into the hills and knocking over range cattle, bringing the meat down and selling it in his shop.
The actual package yeild weight depends on a lot of variables. Fat of the carcass and how close it's trimmed, the quantity of ground meat, bone, water weight when the animal walked across the scale, how long it's hung, what variety meats are returned, etc.
In years past, some unscrupolous people used to load the animals with salt for a couple of days before running them across the scale. Those animals lost a bunch of hanging weight as the moisture of the meat went away. Lowered yeilds a lot, but if you got paid by walking weight you made a little more money. Anyone that has been in any end of this business, either as producer, backgrounder, feedlot operator, slaughter house, butcher, whatever, if they plan on staying in business or have been for any length of time has pretty much had to toe the mark and not practice the underhanded tactics.

dun

My buther told me #350 of RETAIL cuts out of a #1000 critter.

dun":53k81g3e said:
fellersbarnoneranch":53k81g3e said:
dun":53k81g3e said:

A while back I asked Macon about the problem. He said that something wasn't set right , I believe it was in the browser settings. Whatever it was I checked and I didn't see a problem. That was a couple of months ago so I don't recall what it was. Hopefully Macon will respond and clear up the mystery for all of us having this particular diffugilty.

dun

I can't get the problem to duplicate for me. I'll keep checking and let you know if I figure it out.

Well, update to the story. I called the butcher and questioned the low weight. They informed me that they had left a box out by accident when they counted the weight. We actually netted 200lbs out of the 800lb heifer. These were black angus by the way.

Griz

Dun is correct, I failed to mention above that our 32% wfhich occassionally is 34% may be a bit low, but the carcass hangs for 17 days of dry aging and this can affect the final product weight by around 20%. SO just one other variable that needs to be considered in one's worry about their butcher.

I go to all cuttings; one to check that the carcass has the attributes I think it should have, two to measure rib eye area and fat thickness and finally to see that it is cut the way a particular customer wants it cut. I also take pictures of the rib eye to help qunatitate the marbling of the rib eye.

Cow Cop Billy :D

M Gravlee":27br5br7 said:
dun":27br5br7 said:
I can't get the problem to duplicate for me. I'll keep checking and let you know if I figure it out.

It's one of THOSE kinds of problems. Sometimes it will happen once in a half hour, sometimes 4-5 times in 15 minutes, sometimes not at all for days.
Just got one

"The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The system cannot locate the resource specified. Error processing resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'."

dun

cherokeeruby":22gbs3e6 said:
When I start experiencing that problem, cannot display XML page, I do a disk cleanup. Probably too much stuff in your RAM.

Wouldn't think so. This is the only site that it happens on. Plus this system has twice the memory and multiple gig of disk available.

dun

I'm trying to follow the post and a little confused. The weights you've given I assume are live weights and not hanging weights. You originally said you recieved 250lbs of product from the 800lb heifer and then changed it to 200?? and a box was left out?

I have had a box left out before with pork, meaning I didn't receive the meat until I asked them. I sometimes wonder if I hadn't asked would they have called me.

We have angusx cows that we have AI'd to Angus bulls for 4-5yrs. So far all we have butchered is steers at 15-18 months and the hanging weights per side range from 350-400 lbs (we did have a large steer this year that was 450 per side). We recieve approximately 250lbs per side of packaged beef.

You will loose some lbs of product is you get fancy/boneless cutting, doesn't sound like they were overfat.. For a couple years we took two at a time and keep a side of each and we could really see a difference in bone size too (more waste). But in the long run the yield has been pretty consistant.

I hope this helps with your question. donna

Latest posts