How much food?

Help Support CattleToday:

singlespsp

Reaction score
Simple question for somebody. How much hay/grain will an average cow eat in a year? And could you produce all of that food on your own land?

singlespsp":39kzizwa said:
And could you produce all of that food on your own land?

It would depend on how many head, how much land, where the land is located (which part of the country) many other factors.

Some parts of the country you need 100 acres per head just for foraging. Other parts of the country one can stock 2 head per acre.

The amount of feed/hay consumed in a year also depends on the amount and quality of forage/grazing available, climate, etc.

In a good year, for me here in Va., on average, I don't need to start feeding hay until late Oct.- Nov through April. In a bad year, like last year, I had to feed hay during July, then again early Oct and am still feeding some hay. When I do feed hay, it is an average of 25lbs. per head per day, unless it is especially cold, then I'll bump it up a bit.

I'm sure others will have more answers, with more details.

Katherine

There you go again it is 2:0O in the morning there shouldn't you be sleeping ?. :)
That is kind of a broad subject.If you give the cultivated acres and hay acres plus pasture and the number of animals size weight/ bred not bred ,calves etc. I would ask Dun or SL or Aero; Caustic ;Oh I probably don't have the names right but put exacts and there are a lot of real specific down to the letter guys that would love--------- caculating that out for you.
Syd
Seriously it's late there what are you still doing up? 8)

Haha. I work night shifts so it's about middle of the day for me. Thanks for all the input. It's really got me thinking. I plan on raising at least 100 head of longhorn in east Texas growing hay and corn if the land will let me. I think I could get about 4 hay cuts with the way im gonna irrigate. (dunno tho. I'm a mega newb.)

Well there are alot of folks who raise longhorns here so I am sure you will hear from them.But seriously again ----lose the cat he's kinda creepy. :cboy:

Syd Sydney":98yz9wb8 said:
lose the cat he's kinda creepy. :cboy:

That's what I like about it! Pretty crazy looking. Chuckie used to have as his avatar a pic of the Chuckie doll.

Back to the original purpose of this thread. There are a bunch of Longhorn people on this board, some in Texas that can give you more of the info you're looking for regarding feed, hay, acreage etc.

Keep the cat. ;-)

Katherine

singlespsp":3ojzf6sh said:
That's my cat. His name is chuck norris so he's gotta be crazy. :)
There you have it name something after a man who has done lyposuction and everthing else the cat becomes creepy too :lol:did not meen to offend you or your cat.All joking a side it is now 5'ish in the morn there so you must be getting to the end of your shift this is totally irrelevant but did you have your cat before you were posted in Germany or did you get it there;and if you had it before was it a lot of hassle to get him over there with your family?

singlespsp":1wx9rrz7 said:
That's my cat. His name is chuck norris so he's gotta be crazy. :)
There you have it name something after a man who has done lyposuction and everthing else the cat becomes creepy too :lol:did not mean to offend you or your cat.All joking a side it is now 5'ish in the morn there so you must be getting to the end of your shift this is totally irrelevant but did you have your cat before you were posted in Germany or did you get it there;and if you had it before was it a lot of hassle to get him over there with your family?

singlespsp":ywts3plu said:
My cat is German. We bought him in Trier. It's not to tough to get pets back and forth, just takes alot of paperwork.

Trier like I said one of my favorite places in Germany now what is the name of their famous micro brewery I just can't seem to rememeber.I remember Becks in Bremen and the little hotel we stayed at it was about two miles from the football stadium. In Techlenburg we stayed at the Bismark I still remember the owners 13yr old English sheep dog making his rounds throughout the restaraunt and the food wow; and in Trier we stayed across the river in a very nice place about one mile from that winery(it is quite well known but the name is at a miss to me) that has all the vines on the hill and the little train going around with the collectors of grapes.I wish I could remember more specs.I will talk to my friends tomorrow and see if they can fill in the blanks.
Syd

Yeah, it's kinda funny how most resturaunts and stores alow pets inside. And the best wine ever is in the region I live in. Ever had hefewiezen beer? OMG! Soo good.

Latest posts