How much corn to feed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I have some heifers with calves that look mighty thin right now and I am starting to feed some 2 parts corn 1 part soy hull feed to. How much would you feed? Do you have any different ideas to put some weight back on them?

If you're doing it daily I would give them a couple of pounds a day but reverse the mixture

dun

if you can get some rice bran, i have found that it works well. i feed 50/50 volume mixture of this and corn. start out slow and work them up on it. i have had good luck with this. i think the amount you have to feed will be determined by the quality of your hay.

good luck

jt

jt":gzpwp39a said:
if you can get some rice bran, i have found that it works well. i feed 50/50 volume mixture of this and corn. start out slow and work them up on it. i have had good luck with this. i think the amount you have to feed will be determined by the quality of your hay.

good luck

jt
Does your rice bran add alot of pounds since its high in fat?

CowpokeJ":3be2ukux said:
jt":3be2ukux said:

good luck

jt
Does your rice bran add alot of pounds since its high in fat?

usually i give them about 1% of their body weight in bran/corn and it slicks them off good enough for me. i am more interested in maintaining a certain level than really fattening them, so i adjust my feed based on their condition. i should add that i do this with good grass/hay. if my pasture/hay is sorry, then i adjust accordingly.

but i guess if one wanted to really pour it to them you could really fatten them up.

jt

CowpokeJ":2svng1u6 said:
It's usually a 12% fat right?

that is very close. i cant recall right now. when i bought it, they told me the amount of fat and i cant remember. seems like it was either 11 or 13 %. those are 2 of the numbers on the paper i got from them.

jt

Latest posts