How Many?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
How many calves that probably average 150 pounds can you haul in a 20 foot gooseneck? So yesterday I helped a neighbor brand. It had to be done because they had to go out to the hills today. I know there were some dry cows in the mix but I don't know how many. I do know that 166 cows got hauled. That was 2 loads in a cattle pot (44 per load), 7 gooseneck loads of 10 cows each, and one short load of 8 in a gooseneck. Yesterday at the branding I heard the number 130 calves kicked around several times. Anyway I hauled all the calves in 3 loads. At a 130 total that would be 43.3 per load. It was 24 miles each way. About half on the freeway at 65 mph. And half on a narrow gravel road with lots of blind curves. We ran in a convey so if the one in front met anyone they could tell them to hunt a hole. The first trip in I was behind the pot. Bad place to be. About choked on the dust. After that I made sure I was in front of him.

5S Cattle said:
Are you asking a question then answering it, or do really want to know the answer? I'm confused
I guess I was looking for opinions. I know I hauled all the calves in 3 trips. I know I hear talk about a number but that wasn't from the owner. It might be one of those guess how many jelly beans are in the jar deals. The first two loads I was behind the trailer door. The last load I behind the calves and saw the neighbor counting. I will see him this afternoon and I will ask him how many there were.

I put 14 5-7 weights in a 20' the other day and it wasn't tight. I'd guess 45 and still have plenty room. I ain't much for jammin em in unless I don't have far to go

Talked to the neighbor this afternoon. He said there was 120 calves, so 40 per load. The trailer was full but not packed. The trip was 24 miles. The first half on the freeway but not a straight road. Lots of curves posted at 60 mph. The second half is a narrow gravel road with very few straight stretches. Mostly 2nd gear, some 3rd gear.

I was going to guess 40-50 of that size.. I can stuff about 20 at weaning in my 20ft..

I just got some aluminum cleaner and cleaned mine up today... Here I'm 3/4 of the way.. arms were about to fall off by the end of it.. That wasn't just road grime.. I've steam cleaned it before and nothing came off.. hydrofluoric acid sure does the trick though