How many sq bales

Help Support CattleToday:

The square bales around here weigh approx. 35 maybe 40 pounds, not much hay there for $4.50 plus a bale. The round bales I just bought are huge and I paid $20. per roll, loaded on my trailer. Why would anyone prefer the small bales ? By weight ratio the round bales are a bargain in comparison. Am I missing something ?
Tom.

kerley":26hkse5j said:
The square bales around here weigh approx. 35 maybe 40 pounds, not much hay there for $4.50 plus a bale. The round bales I just bought are huge and I paid $20. per roll, loaded on my trailer. Why would anyone prefer the small bales ? By weight ratio the round bales are a bargain in comparison. Am I missing something ?
Tom.
Convenience

you can stack 50 on a 8 ft bed( 3/4 ton pick up )easily with no ropes, if you know how to stack it. you should be looking for 50-60 lb bales at least. good luck. :cboy:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":2zj39rf5 said:
you can stack 50 on a 8 ft bed( 3/4 ton pick up )easily with no ropes, if you know how to stack it. you should be looking for 50-60 lb bales at least. good luck. :cboy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, that is nothing I haven't seen already. Think about it eveytime I see busted up haybales on the side of the road. Was a 5x5 roll side of the highway just up from my road entrance yesterday morning. :lol:

I used to could stack over 50 bales in a truck, when I was young full of p&*^ and vinegar. Now I'd be lucky to get 10 in there before crawling on all fours, panting like an old dog, back to the cab of the truck. :p

Jovid":nwnpf76b said:
Let's assume 50 and do the math.

50 x $1.50 = $75 in savings of the cost of the hay

60 miles RT at 10 mpg = 6 gallons of gas.

6 gallons at $3.00 a gallon = $18

$75-$18 = $57 savings

So the question would be is it worth driving 60 miles round trip to save $57

I think in addition to Jovid's equation above, you also need to consider your time and labor, plus wear and tear on your vehicle(and your back and shoulders!!). Depends also on how many bales you're going to need and how often! ;-)

Latest posts