How many sq bales

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
How many sq bales have you ever hauled with a full size pickup.
deciding to drive 30 miles for 2 bucks a bale or get it from the neighbor for 3.50 a bale.
Least i know the neighbor has good quality hay.

Bill
Millers, MD

I think i put 20 bails in a full size truck (8'box) but there was a tool box in the front. I was in a real pinch that year to do such a thing. that was 20 years ago.

Now i rely on myself and if i need any, my loyalty falls with my neighbors. They appreciate the buisness.

Edit: If your close to me i might be able to help.

I can't tell you how many would fit in a pickup box. What I can tell you is you usually get what you pay for. I would stick with the neighbor. You wouldn't be much further ahead after cost of gas anyway.

Becket, Im in Maryland.
Novaman,, i was thinking same thing.at 2 bucks a bale, it doesnt sound good except for price.

The big load stack is 50 standard sized bales. 11 on edge in the bed. 11 flat for 3 layers (turn the 3rd 90 degrees to tie and the 4th goes as normal) and 6 down the middle on top. Tie off with a good rope.

65 after that it gets a little top heavy but you can go 77.
13 first row
16 on end next
12 flat
12 flat
12 flat
12 flat but gets top heavy

two straps from front to back, two straps from side to side. I keep it between 50 and 55mph. Deliver this ever week all winter and its about 20 miles away. Just make sure you take your time stacking and center everything. Good luck.

I've hauled as many as 70 bales on a standard 8' pickup bed. Top couple of rows get a little shaky but it can be done if you stack 'em right. Trick is to "tie" the rows by alternating the direction they are stacked. (make sense?)

lavacarancher":3ol5vu46 said:
I've hauled as many as 70 bales on a standard 8' pickup bed. Top couple of rows get a little shaky but it can be done if you stack 'em right. Trick is to "tie" the rows by alternating the direction they are stacked. (make sense?)

Yup.

if you know how to stack emm you can get 50 or more in a truck bed.an tie them down good.if i was gonna go a good ways an get hay.id pull a trailer an get 100 to 125 in 1 load.

Let's assume 50 and do the math.

50 x $1.50 = $75 in savings of the cost of the hay

60 miles RT at 10 mpg = 6 gallons of gas.

6 gallons at $3.00 a gallon = $18

$75-$18 = $57 savings

So the question would be is it worth driving 60 miles round trip to save $57

Depends on how much feed you need to buy to get the $2 hay to equal the nutritional value of the $3.50 hay. $57 gives you enough to buy about 7 bags of feed.

Most ever was 45 this past summer, with no strap, 40 MPH with tool box in the back. I have heard about getting up to 60+ in an empty box. Stacking squares on the back of a pickup is a sport in the ranch/farm olympics, as well as an art form. :cowboy:

What size bales are you guys talking about. Out west an average bale of alfalfa will weigh 100 to 130 a bale.
Tom.

kerley":2ks1q1qw said:
What size bales are you guys talking about. Out west an average bale of alfalfa will weigh 100 to 130 a bale.
Tom.
Those would be 3 wire bales. I couldn;t believe it when we moved here and all there were was 2 wire(string) bales

I think we can rule out alfala on the $2 - $3.50 price tag. Not going to be very large bales of anything else either. Price might indicate miniture bales. Twas the reason I said standard size bales. Course standard size bales could be something else somewhere else.

1982vett":2sq8s71z said:
I think we can rule out alfala on the $2 - $3.50 price tag. Not going to be very large bales of anything else either. Price might indicate miniture bales. Twas the reason I said standard size bales. Course standard size bales could be something else somewhere else.
With the "standard" 2 wire bales you don;t need hay hooks to handle them with the "standard" 3 wire it's mighty tough wihout them.

Latest posts