how many per acre

Help Support CattleToday:

rngr

Reaction score
New to site and new to cattle. I currently have 20 acres of very nice prarie grass. About 12 of it I put up in hay, keep some for the horses and sell the rest. The 12 that I hay I would like to put some cattle on and still be able to get about 350 squares per year off of it. My question is how many cattle can I safely put on and still be able to get that much hay per year? I know it probably depends on exactly how good the grass is but would 4 be out of the question? Looking at bred cows and then sell the calves.

This question comes up all the time here. Where I'm from I can put a cow and a calf per acre. Where others are from it takes 20 acres per cow. It ain't a easy question to answer. The best thing to do is to talk to a local in your area they will know your carrying capacity.

I figured this question came up alot. I kind of just wanted to confirm my suspicions that I could carry 3-4 cows on 12 acres. Thanks for the reply.

When you figured your hay needs did you figure for the cows and horses or just the horses? That grass isn't going to pasture all year long is it? I'd say just try 1 1/2 or two A.U.'s and see how you do. Say like 3 calves or a cow/calf type situation.

I figured just my horses that what I usually put up in the barn. The hay for the cows would come from my neighbor who usually has excess and this year we will be partners in haying so I will have plenty of round bales to feed in the winter.

Actually thinking about it I probably have about 14 acres extra.

Latest posts