How many of you have

Help Support CattleToday:

A lot of times. The North American International Livestoock Expo in Louisville, KY. Somestimes as little as a couple of days and as much as a week.
All vacations include at least a visit to a cattle operation or a feedyard. Going to include a visit to Jeanne-Simmie Valley this year on the way to Niagara Falls.

Can't remember the last time I was away from the farm that it didn't involve cattle.

Angus Cowman":14nrn5jd said:
you mean you guys get to take vacations!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
The only vacation I get is when the wife goes to visit her family for a week

Angus Cowman I agree. Haven't had a proper holiday for years and years. Always too much to do at home to be away for too long. Can't get reliable people or anyone that has time to stay over to do the jobs. Even neighbours are too busy to help out. If perchance we do go away it usually is to a cattle event sale/Show etc.

Angus Cowman":2zxuzmnp said:
dun":2zxuzmnp said:
Angus Cowman":2zxuzmnp said:
I bet she enjoys a week away from you more than you enjoy the week away from her :lol: :lol:
I'm sure she does, that's why she does it twice a year

dun":1zwefja7 said:
Angus Cowman":1zwefja7 said:
I get my vacation jnext week wife is headed to Florida for the daughters baby shower dang kids don't they know better than to schedule anything during hay season

In my experience, limited though it is, I have found vacations to be boring, tiring and expensive. :( So maybe I am missing something somewhere. Come to think of it there are two words I hear people use that I have really never understood the meaing of. "Vacation" and "hobby". :???:

I am also confused as to why this subject is being discussed on the breeds board rather than coffee shop.
Oh well, I'm sure there is a good reason. :frowns:

I'm with Ryder. I might take a couple of days with the camper to go trout fishing or to take the wife to Amish country to shop. Even them I am either at the hardware store, an equipment dealer, or checking out the Amish farms. Other than that, my allotted time off work is use to do hay or slaughter whitetails. I will take a few days off this year for the county fair since my 13 year old will have a 4H steer there. More than a couple of days away and I get to thinking about all that I could/should be doing.

Some friends asked me why we never go on vacation. I told them I spend all of our extra money on semen. Tell that to a bunch of city women! :lol2: Then I told them the second reason (no I wasn't really kidding about the first reason) it is busier and more crowded anywhere that I would go than it is at home. Vacations are about relaxing. I do that better here than anywhere else. I just pretend the fencing and other work is done and take a day off every now and then to go out and just enjoy my cows instead of working for them.

I always have.
Until this year. Since the wedding is coming up in less than 4 weeks, we will be taking a honeymoon. I wanted to take it before the wedding so we could go visit King Ranch, but she didn't go for it. So, we are going to Hawaii in the middle of July, right before the fair season starts. So, I get back from there, and have to get 7 head clipped and ready to show.
I'd like to consider going to fairs a vacation, but since you have to clean up after the animals and feed and do farm promotion, I think of it as work.

Angus Cowman":1su0s7a2 said:
greatgerts":1su0s7a2 said:
I always have.
Until this year. Since the wedding is coming up in less than 4 weeks, we will be taking a honeymoon. I wanted to take it before the wedding so we could go visit King Ranch, but she didn't go for it.
Get used to it life as you knew it will be over in 4 weeks :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know that already

I have not been on a "vacation " since 1984.

I have historically taken a week arond Thanksgving to breed cows. A few years ago I took two weeks three weeks apart to be there for second service.

We bought a camper in January and have not been out in it yet. I fear that i Have lost the will.

I think the all time greatest cattle vacationer would have to be the old rancher from out west who had his private rail car pushed on the siding by the old International Amphitheatre in Chicago for the duration of the stock show.That was in the mid 70's when the show was just about wore out and rail service was at its worst.

We went to Denver the year before last for a few days and went to the National Western. Came home feeling rather good about our cattle and what we are doing. Got to visit with some people in Denver I had only visited with on the telephone. We have fall calvers and our spring calves didn't come until March so we were pretty much able to have most things on autopilot with the hay feeders full and S&S Farms stopping by to check on the water once a day.

i have only taken off an been away from the farm 3 or 4 times in almost 30yrs.but i do take time to go to 2 sales a year.

Latest posts