How many lbs or tons toplant an acre....?

Help Support CattleToday:

leboeuf

Reaction score
I know this is a loaded question, but I am trying to figure out my cost per acre on seedeing a few arces I am considering purchasing. I don't have a tractor either.... So can you hire someone to till the whole thing and plant it? I am assuming there would be a per acre fee?

thanks
This will be be used later this fall for cattle in N TX...

You can hire anything done. All it takes is money........

Perhaps you have a farmer/rancher around with the equipment that would like to earn some $$$ during the slow season?

I think extension says it will cost $15/acre to harrow land. Last spring, I was spread out and paid a guy who was harrowing next door $400 cash to harrow 80 acres for me.

Cheapest way I've found it is to mix your seed with the fertilizer and have the coop spread the fertilizer for you then harrow it in. Depending on the fertilizer mix, seed cost etc. but in general the whole deal is going to cost you around $80-$100 per acre.

Jogeephus":2xtmb9mz said:
I think extension says it will cost $15/acre to harrow land. Last spring, I was spread out and paid a guy who was harrowing next door $400 cash to harrow 80 acres for me.

Cheapest way I've found it is to mix your seed with the fertilizer and have the coop spread the fertilizer for you then harrow it in. Depending on the fertilizer mix, seed cost etc. but in general the whole deal is going to cost you around $80-$100 per acre.

At least that much. Maybe more.

My neighbor and I kept up with costs on disking and planting 160 acres of sudan-sorghum 4 years ago.

It cost us $52 per acre with no equipment and no labor costs included. Fuel has more than doubled since then.

leboeuf":3uoop4db said:
I know this is a loaded question, but I am trying to figure out my cost per acre on seedeing a few arces I am considering purchasing. I don't have a tractor either.... So can you hire someone to till the whole thing and plant it? I am assuming there would be a per acre fee?

thanks
This will be be used later this fall for cattle in N TX...

My guy charged me $10.50 /ac. to pull a tandem disk over it then $11.50 /ac. to pull the tandem and grain drill together. Seed cost $14.50 for 50# sack, seeded 100# /ac. Fertilizer $475 /ton @ 100# /ac. is $23.75 /ac. So if my math is right;

Total Planting Cost: $74.75 /ac.

Custom Hire: $22.00 /ac.
Seed $29.00 /ac.
Fertilizer $23.75 /ac.

I listened to an ag economist talk about this and he made an interesting point. He said, at $100 per acre - feeding brood cows, you had to get at least 100 days of grazing off of the planting to break even. I don't know about ya'll, but for me the only way I'm going to get 100 days of grazing is to use some sort of creep grazing cause there is no way I can turn the girls on the grass for two hours every day.

I know all this is driven by money, but I would not cut back in the area of seed. I learned that when they give you a seeding rate per acre that rate is under the best circumstances and the best soil. Compared to redoing this again in two-three years, whats a few more dollars toward seed.

Latest posts